Crushed washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey which I know has an aluminum pan and a 2011 Toyota corolla. I am not sure if the toyota pan is steel or aluminum, does anyone know?

What type of washer is recommended to use for each for the oil drain plug? I have seen a washer that is metal along the outside with rubber in the middle, don't know if this is acceptable or if it is better to use a crushed washer on both of the vehicles. Thanks.

Do you mean one like this?

washer.png

Check the pan with a magnet
Originally Posted by dosmom
I am not sure if the toyota pan is steel or aluminum, does anyone know?

Check the pan with a magnet.

For the Honda, it's a metal crush washer. Don't fool around with anything else or you'll have drips / a stripped pan. Buy from the dealer or a baggie full from Amazon.

I service 2 Honda engines, an '07 Odyssey and a 2010 Accord.
Both had 14mm aluminum crush washers.
I use 14mm aluminum crush washers.

The metal/neoprene one dosmom posted a picture of above is my personal favorite.
It would be my "pre-goop" choice to address a leaking oil drain.

The Saabs had copper washers. I used copper washers on them.

Thanks. Sounds like it should be a crushed washer on the honda. How about the Corolla? Crushed or the metal/neoprene or does it not matter if it is a steel pan?

Fumoto valve.

The metal and rubber one should work for a few oil changes in either vehicle. A few, not twenty. I like them. But the Fumoto valve is even better.

Toyota's OEM are either blue or black. They have either a blue or black coating on them.

Originally Posted by dosmom
Thanks. Sounds like it should be a crushed washer on the honda. How about the Corolla? Crushed or the metal/neoprene or does it not matter if it is a steel pan?

If it's not leaking, why not use the one that's on there right now?

I hate crush washers and after having a fumoto fail on me ill never use another. Crush washers are used for ease of assembly imho. I use a standard fibreor plastic/rubber re-useable drain plug gasket from auto zone. Never leaks, never stains etc.

Am I the only one who gets a "free" copper crush washer with their filter?🤔

(and I never reuse a crush washer, not worth the few cents a new one would cost.. I'm cheap but not that cheap!...‚)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Am I the only one who gets a "free" copper crush washer with their filter?🤔

(and I never reuse a crush washer, not worth the few cents a new one would cost.. I'm cheap but not that cheap!...‚)

I get a free crush washer from Mazda when I buy the filter.

And for the record it's a CRUSH washer, not crushed.

Originally Posted by PimTac
And for the record it's a CRUSH washer, not crushed.

To be accurate, it's a seal or gasket. It's only called a washer because it looks like one.

Why people like these is beyond me. OEMs use them as it makes it idiot proof to not over torque a drain plug on the assembly line and to insure uniformity. For a DIY person it makes more sense to use a re-usable gasket imho. They don't leak and you dont need to buy a new one every time. [censored]...i use them on my ATV and generator too!

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I hate crush washers and after having a fumoto fail on me ill never use another. Crush washers are used for ease of assembly imho. I use a standard fibreor plastic/rubber re-useable drain plug gasket from auto zone. Never leaks, never stains etc.

+ 100%
I've used crush washers a second or third time (untill they look very bad). No leaks. The 4Runner is the only vehicle I have that uses a crush washer (soon to be replaced with a non-crush washer).

Originally Posted by Doublehaul

Fumoto..never heard of her....‚
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back