Most Reliable Cars of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vincenze
Originally Posted by MCompact

An expert on DI valve deposits who knows nothing about the walnut blasting procedure; interesting.
Out of those 250 pages, please cite the posts where Miata owners report having to rebuild their engines at 100k miles.

Yes, I don't buy DI engines, why would I need additional problems and know how to fix them?
For me, it's not a big problem to take out an engine head, disassemble it, and clean valves and passages thoroughly.
It's difficult to clean deposits even when you have a valve in your hands. I can't imagine how you can clean it inside of the head with all deposits flowing inside of the engine.

Here is a topic with a list of blown Miata engines of some forum users.
Though, it says that the engines were just thrown away, not rebuilt.
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=508225

Lol...I've owned DI engines since they first came out - no problems - not one!

Double lol...your link is to 10+ year old Miatas....

Pretty sure 2008 Miatas have nothing to do with 2020 Miatas! The current generation of Skyactiv engines are very reliable. I beat the crap out of one for 60K miles and know the current owner who has 105K miles on it and it runs like new....flawless.....I mean I REALLY beat the crap out of that engine just for [censored] and giggles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

That engine is not for the MX5 but will be used in their current Mazda3. It's already available in Europe.

Why the hangup on iron blocks vs aluminum? Automakers have been using aluminum for many years now. It's not new.

Next thing you'll gripe on is that Mazda engines are cast and assembled for the most part by robots.

I'm just curious why the Miata ND is the most reliable vehicle.

Are there any reports, for example, that its engine can run over 300k miles?
I, for example, see many examples of old BMW cars over 250k miles with their original M30 and M50 engines. But many new BMW engines are unreliable.

Is that why Toyota buys BMW engines?

Originally Posted by edyvw

That engine is not for the MX5 but will be used in their current Mazda3. It's already available in Europe.

Why the hangup on iron blocks vs aluminum? Automakers have been using aluminum for many years now. It's not new.

Next thing you'll gripe on is that Mazda engines are cast and assembled for the most part by robots.

I, for example, see many examples of old BMW cars over 250k miles with their original M30 and M50 engines. But many new BMW engines are unreliable.

And... BMW is buying engines manufactured in China by Loncin. I hate to break it to you edy, now days EVERYBODY is buying everything from small parts to complete engines and transmissions from everyone else. Both Toyota and BMW (as well as Mazda and everyone else) buy from a large number of common suppliers, including each other. It's all about the landed cost at a specified level of quality. It is the specified level of quality that gets many car manufacturers in trouble.

Last edited:
Next month Consumer Reports is releasing the most reliable cars for 2025.

Originally Posted by wag123

And... BMW is buying engines manufactured in China by Loncin. I hate to break it to you edy, now days EVERYBODY is buying everything from small parts to complete engines and transmissions from everyone else. Both Toyota and BMW (as well as Mazda and everyone else) buy from a large number of common suppliers, including each other. It's all about the landed cost at a specified level of quality. It is the specified level of quality that gets many car manufacturers in trouble.

Which engines are bought from Loncin?
Tell me where we can go and buy it?
I can tell you where you can buy BMW engines in Toyota, but do enlighten us which BMW has Loncin engine?

I can tell you where you can buy BMW engines in Toyota, but do enlighten us which BMW has Loncin engine?

Loncin has been making engines for BMW Motorrad for over 10 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loncin_Holdings

BMW Motorrad

In 2005, Loncin entered into an agreement to make G650GS motorcycle engines for German-based BMW Motorrad. The partnership has produced over 35,000 engines for BMW, and significant and technical benefits for Loncin, which Loncin uses to power their LX650 (also known as the CR9). This model is available only in markets specified by BMW under the agreement.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Loncin has been making engines for BMW Motorrad for over 10 years.

I was thinking it is Chinese confined partnership.
Obviously they could sell engines to Toyota then too
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loncin_Holdings

BMW Motorrad

In 2005, Loncin entered into an agreement to make G650GS motorcycle engines for German-based BMW Motorrad. The partnership has produced over 35,000 engines for BMW, and significant and technical benefits for Loncin, which Loncin uses to power their LX650 (also known as the CR9). This model is available only in markets specified by BMW under the agreement.

There is huge difference between this and partnership between Toyota and BMW.
This type of cooperation is going on pretty much since the end of WWII. Mercedes is outsourcing production of their truck engines to Turkey last 30 years. Mercedes made truck engine sand certain Puch-G (military versions) engines in former Yugoslavia since 1960's. Those are all engines designed and developed by Mercedes or in this case BMW. FIAT did this with numerous companies behind the Iron Curtain.
Toyota did not outsource production to BMW. Toyota bought complete, finished products from BMW. Actually, they were not involved in key testing phases of Supra, product sold under their badge. In Europe and other markets where small diesels play big role Toyota is buying finished engines from BMW (though with less power and torque).

Toyota did not outsource production to BMW. Toyota bought complete, finished products from BMW. Actually, they were not involved in key testing phases of Supra, product sold under their badge.
Nonsense. Toyota was putting-up a large portion of the money needed to design, engineer, develop, test, and produce the Supra. You are delusional if you think that Toyota didn't have significant input and direct participation in the project. Toyota engineers had their hands in it from day one. IMO, BMW gained the most from this collaboration.

Toyota did not outsource production to BMW. Toyota bought complete, finished products from BMW. Actually, they were not involved in key testing phases of Supra, product sold under their badge.
Nonsense. Toyota was putting-up a large portion of the money needed to design, engineer, develop, test, and produce the Supra. You are delusional if you think that Toyota didn't have significant input and direct participation in the project. Toyota engineers had their hands in it from day one. IMO, BMW gained the most from this collaboration.

LOL, that argument: Toyota cannot develop engine, but will tell BMW how to do it.
When average Toyota owner thinks Toyota makes vehicle not a mediocre microwave.
Only thing BMW gained from this is that they did not kill Z4 as they found company that does not know how to make sports car (well any car).

Last edited:

LOL, that argument: Toyota cannot develop engine, but will tell BMW how to do it.
Only thing BMW gained from this is that they did not kill Z4 as they found company that does not know how to make sports car (well any car).
Yep, you ARE delusional!

Yep, you ARE delusional!

LOL, either way, when you open hood of Supra, Avensis etc. you can find BMW engine, developed by BMW, made by BMW, designed by BMW.
Toyota is smart company. They are profitable, good company to work for. They figured out who makes better engines and cars than them. Be proud you drive car from company like that.

‘My one year old 2018 Jeep has not broken down yet: it is reliable as any Toyota'. Hilarious.

Originally Posted by wdn
‘My one year old 2018 Jeep has not broken down yet: it is reliable as any Toyota'. Hilarious.

It depends whether engine is made out of nonexistent Loncin rods in nonexistent engine plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back