What can I use an air hammer for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an air hammer at Harbor Freight for $15 to pick up/remove a wooden laminate floor in a small kitchen and foyer area at my sister's Condo. It worked well and did the job.

Now what do I use it for? Around the house, lawn mowers, snowblowers, cars?

Air hammers can be used creatively for lots of stuff. Get the hammer bit, that comes in handy. I straightened a nasty crease in a fender once using it like a planishing hammer on a hardwood bench for a backer. Using a regulator to dial it down for the task is a must too. I used it to install an oil pump pickup on a 350 Chevy, and it worked great.

1981 Z28 004.jpg

Last edited:
Also the pickle-fork attachments work great on tie rods, and ball joints, etc. The hammer head I mentioned works for driving out wheel studs, and anything else frozen together. Haven't tried it on u-joints since I have a press, but it would work for that too. Hundreds of little hammer blows often works much better than one BFH blow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Air does not need hammering.

It's just like an Air Guitar.

Works great to cut off an old tail pipe. Also the pointed bit works good to "drill" a hole in the floor pan to mount an exhaust hanger. Ceramic tile is no match for a wide chisel.

There were several times the air hammer saved my [censored]. I need to remove steel wheel from car and it's frozen to the brake drum from corrosion. Repeated swings with my hammer didn't work so the air hammer rattled enough of the corrosion to break it free.

One other time my slider pins were corroded to the brake carrier bracket as the boot was torn and allowed water in. I had new replacements and hammering with a screwdriver wasn't helping so the air hammer did the trick.

I replaced a wheel bearing and it's retained inside the steering knuckle with a circlip. The circlip was pretty rusted so using the air hammer carefully sort of massaged the circlip to move in the groove.

Lastly the air hammer with a chisel helped take ceramic tiles from the subfloor.

You can use it to remove struts. Watch a you tube video. Instead of a chisel you install a blunt hammer end. In videos where the guy has an air hammer, he hammers down on the knuckle and moves it down to release from the strut in seconds. In videos where he doesn't have an air hammer he is hammering with a GB hammer and it can take forever.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Shale heads popping up in the yard.........chip em down. Slow but still works. Flatten a tip and use it to loosen rusty fasteners. It helps penetrating oil deep in . That's my main use. Helpful sometimes knocking castings apart. Cutting off frozen nuts, exhaust pipes and such. Need a hole in a concrete wall or foundation, far faster than a hammer drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back