DI Fuel pump rattling noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine. 87K miles

I hear this Rattling sound between 2600 and 2800 rpm. Otherwise car runs very smooth.

I'm thinking the Direct Injection High Pressure fuel pump is making the rattling sound but could be wrong. Need to ask the wife to rev up the engine and check. Seems to be coming from the top of the engine right where the pump is located.

It has been cold(er) lately maybe 27°F
shocked2.gif
don't laugh please
grin2.gif

I think the noise started when it got colder but maybe something else other than the pump is causing it.

I also have another question.
I have always had the engine cover off. The cover has a hole that fits right over the High pres pump and is fully insulated all around the pump and covers it like a blanket . iirc, when I had touched the pump in the summer, it was relatively hot but when I touched it yesterday after getting off the freeway it was cold. I just put the engine cover back on. I was thinking the cover and the insulation is to suppress engine noise and the ticking noise but maybe the High pressure pump needs to retain some heat!? idk

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i heard the rattling on my kid 2019 tucson from the beginning. 2.4 engine. its normal. i would stick the cover back on

This is also a Tuscon but 2014.

Originally Posted by dblshock
try a couple tanks spiked with TCW-3 oil...worth a try.

I will check it. Never heard of it before.

You are still under warranty. If you are concerned, at least take it to dealer and get it down on record that you inquired about it, let them take a listen. Its probably noting, as these are noisy in themselves, but doing that can be added insurance.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
You are still under warranty. If you are concerned, at least take it to dealer and get it down on record that you inquired about it, let them take a listen. Its probably noting, as these are noisy in themselves, but doing that can be added insurance.

good idea about getting it on the records!

That little DI pump clatters like crazy on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5l. It would be worse if they didn't have the foam rubber cover over it.

You'd have a check engine light on if there was something catastrophic going on with the high pressure part of the fuel system, but those Hyundai pumps have been known to fail. Like others have said, get it documented for warranty purposes and put that cover back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back