Torque wrench calibration service

[Linked Image]
So my dad has this older but high end for the time torque wrench

He bought it in the late 80s for $200 he says

It's a Mac TWV-250, 50-250 ft-lbs

He always took care of it, and always taught me to put it back to 0 when not in use

On the other hand, it may have gotten left out in the rain once or twice in it's life, and it's flat out old

Anyone have an experience with a torque wrench calibration service?

How long/how much/how it works?

It's a minimum $150-$350 to replace it with something of similar quality, and I'd like to keep it, but I'd also like it to be tested so I could trust it on torque critical fasteners

IMG_20191201_170900.jpg

I've paid $50 twice in the last 15 years to have my $200 split-beam calibrated, only to find out it was spot on both times. Nice to verify, but getting a cheap one calibrated, it would be cheaper to buy a new good one instead. The one you have would probably be worth it though. When I had my Crapsman Digi-torque wrench calibrated, it was junk after that. The rubber handle with the display window in it wouldn't stay in place anymore, throwing it off scale. I now use it as a ratcheting breaker bar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
The tool trucks have a tester. You put your wrench on it and see where yours reads or clicks vs what the tester says.

The day tool trucks make house calls would be a very joyus day for me
lol.gif

Look up "Calibration Laboratory" and "NYC" in your browser, Virtually any cal lab can calibrate a torque wrench.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Originally Posted by Chris142
The tool trucks have a tester. You put your wrench on it and see where yours reads or clicks vs what the tester says.

The day tool trucks make house calls would be a very joyus day for me
lol.gif

The day tool trucks make house calls would be an utter disaster for me... and my wallet

its pretty easy to do a basic check on it yourself. a 50-250 isnt going to be used for high accuracy work most of the time.

your brake caliper bracket wont care if its 170 or 185 instead of 177.

I have 4 torque wrenches with overlapping torque so I checked them all vs a HF electronic adapter.. and they were surprising close.
except the one cheapo that was consistantly under.. but since I only used it for lugnuts I would just compensate by raising it 10-15ft/lb

a year later I bought a precision instruments split beam and threw that AAP cheapo torque wrench in the garbage can.

Back