Biking and sore feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get sore feet now after biking, not riding hard, not races,just joy riding...afterward my feet are sensitive while walking barefoot ,,,,anyone have solutions??

Being 73, a tad older lol,,might be part of the problem somewhat.

I just ride in my standard walking tennis shoes now.

Padded athletic socks like the ones below have made a world of difference for me. In fact I hate when I have to use other ones. About $10 for a three pack. Be sure to wash and moisturize feet daily. I use Nivea body wash and their moisturizer from WM. Three times a week I go on the stairmaster for an hour to an hour and a half.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3...ow-cut-socks.jsp?color=White&prdPV=4

Last edited:
Rubber/plastic pedals instead of all metal, and shoes with more substantial soles.

Moisturizing has little to do with it unless you have dry skin that has developed cracks and that is the source of pain.

You should see a podiatrist to determine the true source of the pain. There are many bones, tendons, ligaments, in the feet and it might be the flexure vs arthritis or another problem rather than impact stress.

Certainly thicker socks are an inexpensive first attempt, but walking barefoot is also more stress on your feet, the more you do it.

Originally Posted by toad
Try wearing shoes with a rigid sole. I ride with hiking boots.

Good suggestion...if you look at biking-specific shoes, the sole is solid with no flex at all. This is to provide maximum power transfer to the crank as well as to protect your feet.
Even if you are not interested in clipping into your pedals (falling over is a real hazard for beginners with those), something like a mountain biking style riding shoe could reduce wear and tear on your feet without impeding your ability to walk normally in them. I had riding buddies who used road biking specific shoes they could barely walk in...I always bought the mountain biking shoes even though I was a road biker.
It's also nice to use biking shoes where the laces are shielded to avoid having them getting tangled up while riding...

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
I get sore feet now after biking, not riding hard, not races,just joy riding...afterward my feet are sensitive while walking barefoot ,,,,anyone have solutions??

How long are you biking for when this happens? I've never had this issue personally. I would be looking at your shoes, how soft are the soles? I know it sounds funny, maybe try to ride the bike with harder soles (steel toe work boots if you have them) and see if that makes a difference.

Do you have foot issues such as gout or arthritis that could be assisting with this discomfort?

Last edited:
Great ideas, did get some inserts today that are great so far while just walking , no pain...the heavier shoes would work, I have an old pair when I did heating and air work and climbed lots of ladders, will try that......I will see my VA doc and get one of their foot docs to check me out.. again, thanks for the tips

Where is your foot on the pedal? The ball of your foot should be over the pedal axle. If you're pushing with your instep it could cause problems. What about your pedal to seat distance?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Where is your foot on the pedal? The ball of your foot should be over the pedal axle. If you're pushing with your instep it could cause problems. What about your pedal to seat distance?

Have watched several videos on seat adjustment and all,,,,will probably take the bike to the Cannondale store and have them fit me..

The easiest way to get seat height close for casual riding is to put it up until you feel your pelvis rocking across the seat as you pedal then put it down 1/2 inch. Usually seat height and fore/aft affects knees not feet. Getting fitted is your best bet. Keep pedaling!

Have watched several videos on seat adjustment and all,,,,will probably take the bike to the Cannondale store and have them fit me..

Proper fit will be huge benefit they will also direct you to proper footwear also I believe that is your biggest issue alone with foot placement. Keep on keep on as we say.

I was going to say the same. Even if you don't go clipless, MTB shoes are more like tennis shoes, meaning you can walk around in them when you are off the bike.

I wear MTB shoes on my road bike as I have wide feet and don't like falling down in the cafe when I have an espresso mid-ride
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Get a stiff pair of MTB shoes.

Change where your feet are resting on the pedals.
This way, different muscles will be used. This should alleviate the soreness.

Originally Posted by totegoat
Think about an e-bike and go painless.

Get an e-bike when you're too old to pedal. OP just started biking again at 72! Awesome!

I see a couple of people in the neighborhood with e-bikes, they barely pedal as they go by. What's the point? Not exercise obviously.

Are you using toe clips or clipless pedals? Toe clips will hoild your feet in place. Make sure that the shoe you use lets you place your foot far enough toward the front.

Unusual, I ride a bike because my feet always hurt while walking.

Originally Posted by totegoat
Think about an e-bike and go painless.

Get an e-bike when you're too old to pedal. OP just started biking again at 72! Awesome!

I see a couple of people in the neighborhood with e-bikes, they barely pedal as they go by. What's the point? Not exercise obviously.

The point is the ability to get out and enjoy a bike in spite of foot, knee, and/or hip problems. Pedal all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back