2012 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6 Intake Valve Cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6 flex fuel version with 207k miles
Took off the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs. Intake valves are quite the sight, i.e. lots of carbon buildup. What are some options for cleanup? AMSOIL power foam?

Thank you.

I hope you also replaced the valve cover gaskets while you were in there
smile.gif

I have the gasket set, but haven't replaced yet & was considering taking the kit back. I don't see any leaks. However, is that a common issue?

Last edited:
Valve cover gaskets are a common issue on any car with high miles. Even if they aren't leaking now, they could start leaking soon, and in order to replace them you'd have to pull the intake again! The valve cover gasket sets usually include spark plug tube seals as well. If those seals go bad, that could also cause trouble by fouling your plugs with oil.

So you are better off doing the gaskets now while the engine is still apart, so you only have to pull the intake once and won't have to do it again soon. I would also recommend ruthenium spark plugs, which last longer than even iridium.

Originally Posted by dblshock
just run TCW-3 in your fuel, steady.

I think the terrain is direct injection. So the TCW-3 will not be going across the intake valves. ( i use tcw-3 for a winter storage mix in all my ope, 640:1 plus stabil)

mechanical cleaning of deposits from DI is by far the best + those wonders in a can only help a little. vids on DIY are on you tube or let a pro $$$ walnut blast it!!

I always ran the TCW-3 in my 16 Civic DI 1.5T 40K my son has it now 55k runs like a fine sewing machine.

dblshock , I agree the pistons are super clean, but tell me how the tcw-3 can clean the intake valves when it never goes across them. The intake is the issue on DI engines, not the pistons.

Last edited:
The instructions for the CRC cleaner say to warm up the engine, and spray the entire can into the brake booster line while keeping the engine at 2k rpm. Let it sit an hour to soak the carbon and then drive at highway speed for at least 10 minutes.

Would the product stay on the valves better( less flash off) If you started out with the engine cold and sprayed it at the 2k rpm then let it soak? Would you not have less flash off and the solvent sit there longer?

The valves will still be warm from running for a minute or so at 2k, just not as hot as fully warmed up.

Last edited:
Walnut blast on high mileage because I'd worry that any cleaner would send a slug of carbon into the cats thereby fouling them. Cleaners are probably ok if used as part of a maintenance regimen (ex, every 25k miles).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Walnut blast on high mileage because I'd worry that any cleaner would send a slug of carbon into the cats thereby fouling them. Cleaners are probably ok if used as part of a maintenance regimen (ex, every 25k miles).

Why would one need a regimen of cleaners? I've not run many vehicles past 200k but those have not gotten cleaners, certainly not on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back