Toyota R150f need help choosing mt oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads and ladettes,

Recently changed the oil in my gearbox, Toyota r150f from 3vz 4Runner. Currently shifts like [censored] and I can feel the issue is the synchronising rings. I realise the gearbox is bit long in the tooth and probably needs a rebuild soon but figured it's important to find the right lube now. I've been using Castrol universal 80w90 as that's what they recommend but I've seen the error in my ways.

I'm thinking of switching to syntrans as it's readily available but not sure whether to go with 75w85 or 75w90 HD. Any other brands/grades open to suggestions, I'm in Australia as far as stock and range is concerned.

I need something aimed at high temps as I live in north of the country where the road constantly melts so I don't care about cold performance just something that performs in high temps.

Service manual suggests GL4 or 5 75W90 however it has brass syncros so I'm thinking perhaps the GL4 syntrans HD. Also after suggestions for the transfer case (gear driven R1fa) and diffs as I've been using the 80w90 in all of them and not really impressed.

Put GL4 in it! I have the same MT on my LC....

Dunno what was its previous fill....but when I changed it with Motul Motylgear 75w90 wich is GL4/5 it shifts became notchier...

Here is a list of MT specific 75W90's from all over the world:

NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4

Amsoil is a bit hard to find as is redline here plus it's nearly three times the price of castrol syntrans. Is there much difference between syntrans 75w85 vs 75w90 besides the obvious? 75w85 seems to be move readily available then the multivehicle.

I used Redline MT 90 in mine with no issues. Totally changed how it shifted, though, in a much better way. I'd find something that is the equivalent. On a side note, I also used Redline's D4 ATF in the power steering of that truck. I had to adjust how I steered since it was much easier and smoother to turn. No more rebuilding pump due to heat issues, either, which seemed to be a problem. Rebuilt mine twice before Redline, none after, which was about another 100k miles.

Used Redline MT90 on the last change, then swapped again for MT90 after 50,000 kms. There was hardly any color change, nor was there any noticeably debris. I think next time I'm going to 80,000 - 100,000 kms intervals

This is on my 4Runner with 390,000 kms which has the same transmission. These trucks are VERY easy on their fluids. I honestly did not notice any difference on my first changeover from whatever the previous owner had in there (likely OEM Toyota stuff since it was dealer maintained) to Redline MT90.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Here is a list of MT specific 75W90's from all over the world:

NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

I noticed Pennzoil Platinum now also has a line of 75W90 in either GL-4 (transmission) or GL-5 (differentials). Would be curious if anyone has feedback on these products.

I'm sold on redline mt-90 found a reasonable retailer locally. I might follow their recommendations for everything as I've just been using generic [censored] til now. Thanks for the recommendation on steering fluid mines been playing up and having issues with heat so I'll switch to that once I sort few things out with it

Originally Posted by nobb

I noticed Pennzoil Platinum now also has a line of 75W90 in either GL-4 (transmission) or GL-5 (differentials). Would be curious if anyone has feedback on these products.

They do and only recently has a PDS been found. We will be adding that to our list of GL-4 75W90's. It appears to be a rather rare product with respect to its appearance in the usual auto parts stores.

It has a 100C viscosity of 15.3 cSt which is close to Redline MT-90 but higher than Amsoil's MTG at 14. cSt.

I ran Mobil 1 75w90 GL-5 in my R150F equipped '97 4Runner for 13 years. It shifted fine. Then I switched to redline MT90, it shifted a bit better. Then I used Amsoil MTG for the last four years or so. It seemed to shift the best.

Toyota specs either a GL-4 or GL-5 75w90 in the R150F trans.

After 22 years I just recently sold the '97, and bought a new 4Runner. I guess I'll see if it proves to be as reliable.

Originally Posted by ad244
Have you changed the shifter bushings?

This, too. I think I had to have mine done twice in the 206k I had the truck.

I have recently done the bushes ect with marlin crawler gear mine was completely missing and would jump out of gear because of it. The hard shifting has been getting progressively worse as I've been driving it after I topped it up with universal 80W90 and I can feel it get worse as it heats up. Also noticed gearbox is putting out a fair bit of heat and I can feel it's definetly the sycnros not doing their job causing the hard shifting. Moves fine if I rev match each gear but that's pretty hard in traffic every day. Definitely going to give mt90 a go

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
My next MT oil change...
https://bit.ly/2qaqaHn

You can try to get it at any VAG (audi/vw/...) dealer since it is vw501.50

Yesterday we (me & 2my friends) changed the clutch on an LC...at the same time I did also change MT oil with 75w90 gl4...now it shifts flawlesly
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back