Credit Card Scam Walmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Henni. I got Equifax after my experience. I don't have the Freeze in place but they do notify me immediately if a credit search is initiated. I guess I'm leaving a small window open that somebody with quick fingers could exploit. Must close it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

If your naive enough to think criminals all over the world aren't looking
Your sadly mistaken

You don't seem to understand how hacking or identity theft works.

If the card has never been used, or entered on a computer either to make a purchase or to add it to an online account, there is nothing there to hack from your end.

There is a possibility that the issuing bank is compromised a d that's where the info got stolen from. But then the bank got hacked, not you.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Maybe a disgruntled employee at the entity that issued the card maybe?

Possible..I wanted to be clear that I'm not saying something didn't happen with the OP's card, I'm sure something did. But this case is fishy.. almost like the bank itself was hacked or someone on the "inside" either at the bank or the OP's home, got a hold of his card. Either way I'd be calling Visa or mc so they can put the card on lockdown until he can speak to his bank Monday and get to the bottom of this.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Either way I'd be calling Visa or mc so they can put the card on lockdown until he can speak to his bank Monday and get to the bottom of this.

Absolutely!

Possible..I wanted to be clear that I'm not saying something didn't happen with the OP's card, I'm sure something did. But this case is fishy.. almost like the bank itself was hacked or someone on the "inside" either at the bank or the OP's home, got a hold of his card. Either way I'd be calling Visa or mc so they can put the card on lockdown until he can speak to his bank Monday and get to the bottom of this.

It's very possible that this is an inside job. I had a situation a couple of years ago where my cards were apparently hacked at an online store - the reason I believe this is because I made purchases on 2 different days, with 2 different cards, and both started having fraudulent charges on the account. The cards were from 2 different banks. One bank issued the new card and I haven't had any problems since. The other issued a new card, and 2 months later I got a fraud alert text asking me if I had made a charge. I hadn't, and in fact I hadn't used the card at all since it was reissued. This went on for almost 18 months; I used the card sparingly, never online, and like clockwork, every 2 months I'd get a fraud alert for the same charge at the same vendor and I'd get a new card/account number. Things finally stopped when, at one of my bi-monthly calls with the fraud department, I pointed out that this looked like an internal problem since I didn't use the card online at all, and sparingly otherwise and this is happening like clockwork. I don't know what happened, but since that call, fortunately, I haven't had an more problems.

Originally Posted by opus1

It's very possible that this is an inside job. I had a situation a couple of years ago where my cards were apparently hacked at an online store - the reason I believe this is because I made purchases on 2 different days, with 2 different cards, and both started having fraudulent charges on the account. The cards were from 2 different banks. One bank issued the new card and I haven't had any problems since. The other issued a new card, and 2 months later I got a fraud alert text asking me if I had made a charge. I hadn't, and in fact I hadn't used the card at all since it was reissued. This went on for almost 18 months; I used the card sparingly, never online, and like clockwork, every 2 months I'd get a fraud alert for the same charge at the same vendor and I'd get a new card/account number. Things finally stopped when, at one of my bi-monthly calls with the fraud department, I pointed out that this looked like an internal problem since I didn't use the card online at all, and sparingly otherwise and this is happening like clockwork. I don't know what happened, but since that call, fortunately, I haven't had an more problems.

Wow.. strong evidence it was an inside job considering it didn't happen after you brought it to their attention. And I wouldn't expect the bank to cop to it either, that's something they'd prefer to keep on the down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back