VW guys questions on the ea839 engine

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by benjy
manufacturers are stooping to all time lows to get you to use thinner oils!!! wondering whats recommended overseas. these oils are recommended-specd but if required must be supplied FREE!!!

In Germany that engine is a C20/508.00 xw20 oil. They are not stooping to any low to force the use of xw20 in this engine. What is it you don't understand about the engine being designed specifically to operate with lower viscosity lubricants?
When Ford first back spec'd the 5.4 to 5w20 you knew it was a load of crap when they stated unless towing over x pounds, it was clear with that little proviso they were possibly sacrificing longevity and wear for CAFE credits but that is not the case with this and other engines designed specifically for these oils.

Your statement about being supplier free is incorrect. If the manufacturer said for example you must use this or that oil and no other brand and they have to perform the service or no warranty then yes they must provide it free but requiring oil that meets a spec no.

Castrol recommends for that engine A40, VW 502.00 in Germany.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I'm pretty sure the Cayenne S is mostly the same engine but with a different stroke and the additional turbo. So it stands to reason that the oil pump and squirters are capable of using 30w
Looks like Porsche made the "S" engine to run hotter, especially if pushed continuously at max power. Thats why they aren't comfortable with 0w20 in the high HP model.

Yours is not an "S", correct?

Great color BTW. Best looking practical roomy type vehicle around I think.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The web selector at castrol.com for Germany doesn't go past 2018 models.
-----Where do you get your information?

The Mobil1 German website says to use 0w20 in this car:
(The "S" model, with the more powerful, highly turbo'ed engine, says C30-504 though, as we have said, and matching the U.S. Owner's Manual for the 2019 models. 2020 the same.)

cayenne.jpg

Originally Posted by paoester
I'm pretty sure the Cayenne S is mostly the same engine but with a different stroke and the additional turbo. So it stands to reason that the oil pump and squirters are capable of using 30w
Looks like Porsche made the "S" engine to run hotter, especially if pushed continuously at max power. Thats why they aren't comfortable with 0w20 in the high HP model.

That's so weird. I just did the exact same thing and then I saw your screenshot and got all confused which tab I was on.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's so weird. I just did the exact same thing and then I saw your screenshot and got all confused which tab I was on.
lol.gif

Funny! The German site has both models, the S 2.9L, and the lower powered 3.0L model, same as we get here in the states. The Castrol site I couldn't figure out how to get the latest 2019-2020 models at all.

(The "S" model, with the more powerful, highly turbo'ed engine, says C30-504 though, as we have said, and matching the U.S. Owner's Manual for the 2019 models. 2020 the same.)

You select other VW's with this engine.
What does "highly turbo'ed" engine means?

Probably high and low pressure versions like Saab did for years.

Where did you get this info for the ea839 engine? Post a link.

The 2.9L is twin-turbo, the 3.0L has one. EGT (exhaust temp) would be higher in the 2.9L twin-turbo version. Cylinder wall heat is a difference. .... The S 2.9L has 406 ft-lbs vs. 332 ft-lbs for the EA839 3.0L. The 2.9L generates more heat, torque, needs more viscosity.
Going back far enough in time, they did spec HTHS 3.5 oils. We are currently talking about the newer 2019-2020 VAG engines that use 0w20. Thats where edyvw's confusion probably is.

My "Cayenne Jr." Tiguan has low turbo pressure, very little HP, and uses 0w20. Extremely well cooled that one.

I wouldn't worry a second about using a xw20 oil. The engine as far as I can tell uses liquid cooled turbo bearings with wide main and rod mountings/caps with a demand controlled variable displacement oil pump. You could say the engine was designed around lower viscosity oil unlike many engines that could run almost anything and just back spec'd for CAFE reasons.
Personally I would not run a heavier oil in this if it calls for C20/508.00, the pump and the engine were not designed for it. This oil looks like it will fit the bill for that spec and includes the dye. Castrol is good stuff.

https://www.europaparts.com/castrol-edge-professional-0w20-long-life-iv-ge525771ldsp.html

Edit: This is interesting.

https://www.audi-technology-portal....-technologies/demand-controlled-oil-pump

Thanks for a great post Trav !

The 2.9L is twin-turbo, the 3.0L has one. EGT (exhaust temp) would be higher in the 2.9L twin-turbo version. Cylinder wall heat is a difference. .... The S 2.9L has 406 ft-lbs vs. 332 ft-lbs for the EA839 3.0L. The 2.9L generates more heat, torque, needs more viscosity.
Going back far enough in time, they did spec HTHS 3.5 oils. We are currently talking about the newer 2019-2020 VAG engines that use 0w20. Thats where edyvw's confusion probably is.

My "Cayenne Jr." Tiguan has low turbo pressure, very little HP, and uses 0w20. Extremely well cooled that one.

Like what? 20 years?
When VW constructed this engine 0W20 was already in play. Unless we are talking about completely different engines between 2018 and 2019, there is no substantial difference.
And by the way, there is no such thing as "highly turbo'ed" engine.

Again:

The twin turbo is heavily boosted, a highly turbo'ed engine. Very plain language.

Again:

The twin turbo is heavily boosted, a highly turbo'ed engine. Very plain language.

There is no such term as "highly turbo'ed engine." There is though term increased boost.

I think you guys are arguing semantics ...

Anyway we pick it up 8 am tommorow and I'll have the book in hand.
Orange markers are getting blanked for sure ...
[Linked Image]

ECS Tuning has Castrol LongLife IV - SAE 0W-20 - 508.00/509.00 for $6.37/qt. (ES#3243593)

First time I've googled that spec and and surprised that it is that reasonably priced. Heck, 507.00 normally costs more than that. lol

Anyhow, in answer to your question, I feel your concern, but I'd run what he engine is spec'ed for and motor on. Sweet ride, btw.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
ECS Tuning has Castrol LongLife IV - SAE 0W-20 - 508.00/509.00 for $6.37/qt. (ES#3243593).
Holy Price Drop, Batman. That about equals the ongoing rmeuropean.com price on Total 508 0w20 oil. Could be a Cyber Monday price at ecstuning.com (?)

Noticed ECS Tuning also has a magnetic drain plug version of that plasticky twisty thing unique to some VAG sumps like mine. Don't know if the Cayenne uses the same type.

Back