Am i overdoing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Mitsubishi lancer with engine that started to consume oil with 20w50 oil with added oil treatment, i started doing this mix for my engine oil, 4 liters mixed with 120ml liqui moly oil additive " mos2 " and 1 can of mannol motor doctor 9990 but one of my friends told me i am overdoing it with the mos2 as the engine is a goner anyways and i am just getting any life out of it before changing the short block, so my question is should i use oil with mannol doctor only or keep using the mix i did?

How much oil is it consuming? 1 liter per 2000 km or anything similar? If it's much worse than this then I don't think any additives will slow down consumption.

If whatever you're doing is working, then I don't think you're overdoing it.

If you aren' seeing any improvements, I'd just go back to what you were doing before.

X2 on how much it's consuming. If it recently started to and it's an issue, are you certain it's not a leak?

I know nothing is going to fix i am just trying to prolong the life of the engine as much as i can, the car is burning 1litre every 1000 - 1500km depends on speed and if i am traveling or inside town

One liter every 1000-1500 km isn't bad. If it gets worse, it's likely rebuild time, based on previous discussion (not valve stem seals, right?).

Honestly, I would just buy a good quality oil, keep it topped off and save your money for the next car/rebuild. The additives aren't making any difference in your problem, but they are draining your wallet faster...

The 20W50 is a good choice for both your car, and your climate...never gets cold in Cairo...but it sure gets hot in summer!

Last edited:
This is after a bad repair job? Sounds like you'll need a rebuild. Weigh the costs of that vs a new vehicle.

Is this the same engine that didn't have the valve stem seals replaced..or was it the rings, can't recall?? Either way you shouldn't be drinking that amount of oil after a rebuild. Otherwise, what was the point of the rebuild???

I'd take it back and make them fix it.

Last edited:
I don't think it was rebuilt - I think the OP was considering a repair, and opted not to. A Litre every 1000-1500 KM isn't terrible. Some car companies won't even fix that under warranty.

Oil recommendations for specific brands won't help him much, the market for oil in Egypt is different...

Espada - it's a lot cheaper to buy an extra litre every month than it is to rebuild this engine, or to concoct lots of additives.

Just keep your money in your wallet. Buy a decent 20w50 and keep driving.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I don't think it was rebuilt - I think the OP was considering a repair, and opted not to. A Litre every 1000-1500 KM isn't terrible. Some car companies won't even fix that under warranty.

Oil recommendations for specific brands won't help him much, the market for oil in Egypt is different...

Espada - it's a lot cheaper to buy an extra litre every month than it is to rebuild this engine, or to concoct lots of additives.

Just keep your money in your wallet. Buy a decent 20w50 and keep driving.

It was rebuilt.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...it-safe-to-use-100-synthetic#Post5190894

Last edited:
As others have said, just keep it topped up.

Keep it going for as long as you can, until you can afford to replace the car. I would not being spending more money that may not possibly fix the issue second time around.

It was rebuilt but the market here is full of bad spare parts thats why it got into consuming oil again, i wont try to fix it i will change the entire engine as soon as this one dies but i am trying to milk the most out of it

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Espada
It was rebuilt but the market here

Just where might here be?

Egypt. Click on his location and it should take you to Google maps.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It was rebuilt.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...it-safe-to-use-100-synthetic#Post5190894[/url]

I think the 15 minute engine flush is killing his engines.

Could be..i *think* he stopped doing that, that was waaaay overkill. I think there's a fine line between cleaning stem seals and ruining them with too much exposure to solvents. I may do a flush maybe once or twice in the LIFETIME of the engine.. we're talking +150k miles. Instead what I will do is run some Rislone for an oci every couple of years maybe. It's a much more gentle cleaning than using solvents in something like Motor Medic. If I bought a used car and I didn't know the maintenance history I might do a flush just to get it started out on a good maintenance routine. It's a shame the people who did the rebuild the first time didn't do a better job imo. But it happens to the best of us..all the more reason why when you find a good shop you stick with them even if they're not the cheapest in town.

Last edited:
Yeah i stopped using motor flush and doing regular oil changes at 3000 - 5000km depends on oil type, my idea of adding the mos2 that incase of low oil levels it should save the engine from failure and adding heavy oil treatment reduces smoke and oil burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back