Camry Hybrid 2008-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about selling one of my vehicles to invest extra cash into the home refinancing.
Still need a car and found a few options of Camry Hybrid at ~$6-7k with 100k miles on them
Go or no go?

Get out a calculator to see if it's worth the risk.

A 2010 Camry gets 26 mpg combined, 15,000 miles per year at $2.50 a gallon is $1,442 per year in gas.
A 2010 Hybrid Camry gets 34 mpg combined, 15,000 miles per year at $2.50 a gallon is $1,102 per year in gas.

Is saving $28 a month in gas worth it for the added risk of replacing the battery pack?

You picked the good ones. Battery is not an issue. Toyota regulates it very well. If driven regularly battery should not be a problem. This isn't a Tesla where the owner charges it. The car takes care of it and the owner only puts gas in. The brakes last much longer, no clutch type trans to wear out ever, no alternator, no separate starter, and saves a lot of gas. The only caveat with the older ones is the trunk is smaller.

If you really want a hybrid, get a Volt or Prius V (the wagon version)

Otherwise, you're better off with a regular non-hybrid Camry or Accord

Well even if the battery lasts you still have a 100,000 mile car in theory it shouldn't need much but around that mileage it needs sparkplugs wires etc.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I would skip due to possible cost of battery pack replacement.

Buy a gas only Camry.

Reduce this risk but skipping the hybrid option.

The 2009 Camry Hybrid in our family need the A/C to be recharged every year. Two shops could not find a leak. Was given about $2,500 in trade on a new Toyota recently. It also used oil (common problem) but not enough for the replacement pistons that were needed to correct the oil consumption.

I think the next generation of the Camry Hybrid is a better car.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
You picked the good ones. Battery is not an issue. Toyota regulates it very well. If driven regularly battery should not be a problem. This isn't a Tesla where the owner charges it. The car takes care of it and the owner only puts gas in. The brakes last much longer, no clutch type trans to wear out ever, no alternator, no separate starter, and saves a lot of gas. The only caveat with the older ones is the trunk is smaller.

10 years/150K is usually when the batteries start to fail, sometimes sooner in warm climates.

That era of Camry Hybrids had a version of the 2.4L that was prone to oil consumption.

Originally Posted by The Critic
... That era of Camry Hybrids had a version of the 2.4L that was prone to oil consumption.
So did non-hybrid Camrys of around that vintage, as I understand.

Originally Posted by CR94
... That era of Camry Hybrids had a version of the 2.4L that was prone to oil consumption.

Correct

Originally Posted by CR94

Correct

And so does my 2012 xB, but I haven't experienced it yet with only 21000 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back