Wix 57356 vs Napa Gold 7356

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find any actual information by doing a search here.

I'm in Canada and I normally use Napa Gold 7356 filters. It's hit or miss if I can get Napa to give me a discount if I buy a case of 12 (which they call a Master Pack).

I've always heard that Wix actually makes Napa branded filters so it took me some time, but I finally found a Canadian place that sells Wix 57356 filters by the 12 pack case for $77.40, making each filter cost $6.45 CND, which is reasonable to me.

My only concern is IF the Wix 57356 is identical to the Napa Gold 7356? I've read many times in this forum and others that Wix has different "levels" of quality, that Wix branded filters are better than the ones they provide to Napa for their Gold filters, and the opposite as well.

I also understand that around 2014 Mann + Hummel apparently bought out either the Napa or Wix line....I'm not sure. I just know that if the filter has the Mann + Hummel marking on it that it was at least made post 2014...I think!!??

If anyone has cut open both a Wix 57356 AND a Napa Gold 7356 I'd be most interested to know what you found as far as if they contain identical guts, or if one is better than the other?

Also, the place I've found in Canada that sells the 12 pack for $77.40 is called Parts Avatar, which up until I found the web listing I've never heard of. There seems to be good reviews, but I'd also appreciate any comments from others who have maybe used Parts Avatar in Canada with regards to them selling the real items they are claiming to sell and that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Current production apples to apples compared, 57356, 7356 would be the same. So I'd go least expensive option. As I get the 7356 for 40% off on twice yearly local Gold sale making them posted here, results typical ime. If it matters, made in the US.

Yup. As said, same filter.

NAPA pays Wix to make them a filter to put their name on. For simplicities sake, somebody at NAPA knew Wix was a good filter, so said just take your Wix filter and put our sticker on it. Comes off the same assembly line, just goes to another labeling and boxing machine.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Based on them I've ordered a dozen of the Wix 67356 from that company. We'll see how it goes. I'm also hopeful when/if they arrive they'll be ones made in the USA like all my other Wix and Napa filters have been. Thanks again for your comments.

All your cars should use the same filter. How are the Grupo Gonher Mexico Nissan filters for the V8 Titan? I have used them with good luck.

They should have a better base gasket than the wix. But Wix has base bypass valve which I would run in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
..How are the Grupo Gonher Mexico Nissan filters for the V8 Titan? I have used them with good luck.….
If the linked Grupo Gonher filter is the same or even uses the same adbv design as the one I cut open...A FAIL. I suspect the design at the least the same. There's two other GG OFs linked in thread with same issue. Can't recommend. Otoh, I've never had an issue with Wix/NG adbv.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5074690/nissan-15208-65foe-adbv-defect

Originally Posted by atikovi
The last Wix I bought was made in Taiwan. What is it for and why don't you buy OEM?

Because there is no such thing as OEM. The branded filters can change their product order after each contract. It's not like the aftermarket OEM branded filter is of higher quality.

Originally Posted by dave1251
But at least you know it will be of reasonably good quality.

And we know Wix is good quality.

But OEM shows you care to buy the best.

Originally Posted by dave1251
But at least you know it will be of reasonably good quality.

And we know Wix is good quality.

But OEM shows you care to buy the best.

Not always. O.E. on many Japanese cars have been nice Tokyo Roki, but go to the dealer parts window and get a FRAM painted blue for your Subaru or Honda.

Yes, Mazda still use Roki Ive heard. So they are doing one thing right.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
..How are the Grupo Gonher Mexico Nissan filters for the V8 Titan? I have used them with good luck.….
If the linked Grupo Gonher filter is the same or even uses the same adbv design as the one I cut open...A FAIL. I suspect the design at the least the same. There's two other GG OFs linked in thread with same issue. Can't recommend. Otoh, I've never had an issue with Wix/NG adbv.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5074690/nissan-15208-65foe-adbv-defect

Not Good. I'll retract but stuff happens. Looks good otherwise
smile.gif

Having Run Gonher, M1 (Champ) and Fram Toughguard. I couldnt pin the cold knock or cold TC rattle to any one brand. Just the Bigger the can the better in the Winter. SO I chose Nissan Titan V8 app for about 1/3 larger size.

My 2014 Rogue QR25DE engine was killed by a combination of bad filters, and bad gasoline. I Think the VVt or TCT was trash when I traded it. making all kinds of noise. Mine had a solid cam with buckets yours has finger followers IIRC.

My Versa Note was killed by a Bad Chinese Nissan Filter right from the Factory

Even tne very Pricey Honda Filtech (for an S2000) I got at a Honda Dealer had 2 torn pleats ( posted on here somewhere)

Bean counter killing big ticket parts. Drives me NUTS! These odd issues actually drove me to this forum.

At the time all I heard was naysayers.

This stuff shouldn't be happening .

Last edited:
...Not Good. I'll retract but stuff happens. Looks good otherwise :)…..

This stuff shouldn't be happening .
OT Yeah, I'd call it a semi significant design flaw, especially so since as noted in the link, Gonher is dealer sold OEM. Which is ironic here considering the praise for OEM in this thread. One is supposed to get the warm fuzzies from OEM, shows that's not always delivered real life. Agree stuff does happen, and a start up rattle not an engine death knell. But, the fact that once the adbv slides down the outlet tube that could be a bypass point, a tad more serious. It would be an easy fix for Gonher though. Make the adbv a little thicker at the outlet flange seal area, would very likely hold it in place with compression spring pressure. It's too thin and flimsy now.

That said, I'll bet most Nissan owners using them will never know the difference. Had I not cut the filter open, I wouldn't have known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back