Discount Tire - same tire size policy as Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been to a Discount Tire before, but there is one about 45 miles away.

Does Discount Tire have the same policy as Wal-Mart, that they will only mount a tire the same size as shown on the tire placard on the vehicle?

My 2004 Silverado LS (255/70R-16) has 18" wheels on it, that came from a 2014 Silverado LTZ (265/65R18)

If they have this policy, then there's no need for me to even consider them.

Perhaps call them and ask.
Let them know what you are looking for.
I buy from Wheel Works, a Firestone company.
They will install whatever you want.

no they will have recommended sizes and alternate sizes. as long as its not too odd they dont care..
it has to have same or higher load rating though.

For example 225/60r17 on my 2011 forester they couldnt care less when I wanted 235/55r17

Also didnt care when I upsized my jeep winter tires from 245/65r17 to 245/70r17

or downsized the 2020 elantra winter set from 205/55r16 to 195/65r15

Nope...my family is running non-stock sized tires on two of our vehicles and both sets came from Discount.

Discount Tire has been amazing. I have 205/60 R13's on my Mazda rx-7 race car mounted with no issues

My experience similar to others both with different than oe tire size and speed rating. No problem. That said, before I drove 45 miles I'd call the desired store and advise them of your plan and confirm. Trust but verify.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I've upsized wheels once and tires 3 times at DT with no questions asked.

+6
As long as it isn't too far out-of-bounds, no problem.

I ran in to this problem 15 years ago with walmart. I dropped off my carry in tires and left the car, came back at 630pm and was told no, the car shows a different size on the door, we cant do it. The next model year of my car at that time came with 195 60 15 and my car had 185 65 15. Basically going to the same diameter but one step wider, Honda made this change in 2003 to 2004 So the next day I put the car on jackstands and brought the loose wheels in with the new tires and they mounted and balanced them. I had no problem bringing the car back for the rotation and balance. They said they just cant install them on the car, but I could. By the time the ordeal was done I personally dont feel the savings was worth the effort.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
If possible drop the wheels off and let them mount/balance the tires.

This but it makes it harder to do the alignment! I never liked those DIY alignments you got in the mail.

Last edited:
I've used alternate sizes before, especially when they no longer made/carried the OEM size. I used a taller, more narrow tire on my Integra before and they even recommended it to me as the OEM size was no longer carried. I've also used different sizes there when not using the factory rims, like with my Camaro. Again, no questions or concerns. They even offer alternate sizes willingly on their website.

Around here, that is all DT does all day, put big wheels/tires on trucks and jeeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back