Exhaust clamps, regular or guillotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing an exhaust system using stock parts. They specify these regular style clamps.

[Linked Image from static.summitracing.com]

Wouldn't these guillotine style clamps seal better?

[Linked Image from gautoparts.com]

I've gotten leaky "wrinkles" out the sides where the pipes squish using the first style. A little muffler cement on the joint is a good backup.

it matters NOT because typical materials + even cheap widely use 400 grade stainless will rust + or corrode quickly making removal a cutting operation. when using lifetime 300 series stainless band clamps of 300 series stainless are best allowing removal anytime. depending on where you live + vehicles life costly 300 stainless if available is best as it outlasts the vehicle no matter where you live!

Last edited:
A guy at the muffler shop showed me a trick a long time ago. He used high temp silicone RTV on the joints and it lasts the life of the exhaust system for sealing minor leaks. Sometimes you slightly deform a joint when you take apart the system and this will prevent leaks.

If you use the u-bolt style ones, as suggested put sealant in the joint before starting. Tighten up the clamp then loosen it and rotate about 90 degrees around the pipe and tighten again.

Originally Posted by atikovi
The first style because it's the cheapest.

Me too but I'm always willing to look towards something better if it's not too $$$$$. I like the way those worm type don't tend to lock pipes together by making that crush ring in both of them.

Originally Posted by mk378
What car comes from the factory with clamps as part of the stock system?

Sometimes you'll have a bolted together flange that won't seal perfectly because it's slightly deformed so the silicone trick works for that. Yeah, you're right all I have seen are welded or have a flange.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
A guy at the muffler shop showed me a trick a long time ago. He used high temp silicone RTV on the joints and it lasts the life of the exhaust system for sealing minor leaks. Sometimes you slightly deform a joint when you take apart the system and this will prevent leaks.

You sure it wasn't exhaust sealant made specifically for mufflers and pipes? Can't imagine silicone holding up under the heat and pressure.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Silicone works fine after the cat as exhaust cools down by then. They sell orange RTV that claims high temp.

If your pipes fit together that badly (that you feel you need a sealant), why not just expand the smaller one till they're a tighter fit?

The cheap plain steel clamps have their place, but if you want to get it apart again later, with less effort and destruction, avoid the goop and just put a band clamp on tight fitting pipes. Make it stainless if you anticipate some portions of the exhaust wearing out faster than others, for example using a stainless muffler with an aluminized pipe after it instead of stainless, so there is a greater possibility you will need to remove that clamp instead of just detaching or cutting out the parts on both sides of it.

The piece at the bottom (screw end) of the band clamp is not much of an issue. Yes it has a fixed curvature, but it is pretty close per the pipe diameter, you are putting this on thin walled tubing so as you tighten it, the tubing conforms that slight bit to that curvature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back