.S and W .32 Long revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got hold of a new cartridge for my H and R. Magtech has a 98 Grain SJHP. I think this mouse gun now
is a good back-up to my Taurus loaded with +P's

Great!

After all the discussion- any chance you could share a picture with us? I'd love to know what it looks like.

Cheers

Should look similar to this.

[Linked Image]

^^^ Yep, that's a Colt. I have one like in the photo that was my Grandfathers. Most of the old H&R 32 revolvers looked pretty similar.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep, that's a Colt. I have one like in the photo that was my Grandfathers. Most of the old H&R 32 revolvers looked pretty similar.

By chance that isn't a .32 Long Colt? If so can you find ammo anywhere.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

My GUESS would be that it's in ".32 Colt New Police", which not not the same as ".32 Colt." The former uses the same brass dimensions as 32 S&W Long, but usually has a flat-nosed bullet.

Back in those days, S&W and Colt seemed to go to great lengths to avoid acknowledging the other company even existed. It's a bit comical when you look at a Colt DA revolver-the cylinder turns the opposite direction from an S&W, the catch for the swing-out cylinder operates in the opposite direction, and the rifling actually twists in the opposite direction. Colt carried all of these design conventions up to when they ended DA production c. 2000(I haven't looked at the new DA revolvers, but would be disappointed if they weren't made this way).

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

My GUESS would be that it's in ".32 Colt New Police", which not not the same as ".32 Colt." The former uses the same brass dimensions as 32 S&W Long, but usually has a flat-nosed bullet.

Correct ... the one I have is a .32 Colt "New Police" model that is chambered for .32 S&W Long. Based on s/n look-up on Colt's website it was manufactured in late 1907. According to Colt's s/n records, the "New Police" was made from 1897 - 1908, and only made 49,500 total over those 12 years. Then Colt dropped the "New Police" and started production of the "Police Positive" in .32 caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back