Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
My 2006 Ford F-150 V-6 is driven less than 1,200 miles a year. It suddenly developed a loud lifter. Rislone cleared it up.

I have always used full synthetic. Truck has 115K on it. I do not do short trips so oil temp should not be a problem.

When I go to change the oil in the spring what oil is recommended for low yearly mileage. I want to keep the problem from recurring.

Score one for team Rislone. One of the few products I've used here and there over the years.

You could switch to an HDEO to pick up where the Rislone left off....or since you're saving money and only doing one oci annually, would putting a bottle of Rislone in the crankcase along with the oil you've been using be cost prohibitive for ya? There's no reason why you can't run that Rislone all year @ only 1200 miles annually.

Last edited:
Running Rislone with every OC was a consideration. I may indeed go that route.

BTW...I change oil every 2 years.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Running Rislone with every OC was a consideration. I may indeed go that route.

BTW...I change oil every 2 years.

Well "age" isn't going to kill the Rislone any more than it'd kill the lube. I'm pretty sure it's a high quality carrier oil. I don't see any downside to going that route.. unless I'm overlooking something. Maybe someone else can chime in on that...

Last edited:
Red Line is a known problem solver but in your case the Rislone is probably more cost effective.

WOW. I remember my dads 1955 Olds 98 had lifter noise and he would add RESLONE and the lifter noise was gone within 25 miles or so and stayed quiet for another year or two. Ed

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Sounds to me the Rislone added some viscosity to your oil. How about choosing a 5w40 for your next change.

Rislone, I'm guessing the Engine Treatment, doesn't add viscosity. It's maybe a 5W-20 weight...

Sounds to me the Rislone added some viscosity to your oil. How about choosing a 5w40 for your next change.

Rislone Engine Treatment is a 5W20 grade and can thin the oil.

Last edited:
I had 1965 Dodge Dart with 185,000 miles it lived on Rislone. I loved pouring it into the engine it looked like green Kool-Aid.

I love Rislone, and it has its place as a cleaner/flush, but I would never use the stuff in every OCI. IMO. Not with modern SJ, SL, SM, SN, SN+ motor oils...

Your truck is 14+ years old things like this happen and it's good Rislone cleared it up. Just use modern motor oil and it will be fine.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Rislone, I'm guessing the Engine Treatment, doesn't add viscosity. It's maybe a 5W-20 weight...

Ok, I see. 7.8 cSt @ 100 C. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Score one for team Rislone. One of the few products I've used here and there over the years.

You could switch to an HDEO to pick up where the Rislone left off....or since you're saving money and only doing one oci annually, would putting a bottle of Rislone in the crankcase along with the oil you've been using be cost prohibitive for ya? There's no reason why you can't run that Rislone all year @ only 1200 miles annually.

I agree. I'd run your favorite oil with a bottle of Rislone for another year. There is no problem in doing so.

I would use a high zinc, moly or boron oil.
Keeping in mind your 24 month OCI spending a fiver more is worth it.
Oils that come to mind - Valvoline Maxlife (has all the goodies, good for long drains), Castrol Magnatec, QSUD, Mobil 1 New-life(may be Euro only).

Originally Posted by dave1251
Your truck is 14+ years old things like this happen and it's good Rislone cleared it up. Just use modern motor oil and it will be fine.

I agree.

It turns out to be about a 5W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the PCMO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
It turns out to be about a 5W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the PCMO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

There was a thread from way back that a guy from Rislone/Bar's chimed in on..he mentioned something about stuff that wouldn't show up on your typical VOA. I think one thing he mentioned was [N butyl] something of other (I'm sure I got that wrong but it was something like that), i forget exactly what it was.

Do you recall this thread by chance? Are you aware of any tests revealing what else might be inside their formula??

What purpose is the TMP serving in your opinion? A cleaner? VM?? Stabilizer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back