Anybody into smart power plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a power plug that will stay on for 5 minutes and off for 30 minutes all day long. I am unable to find any such timer for a reasonable price (lowest I found was $30 a pop) Today, noticed Wemo smart plugs in Costco $10 each but I have never used these. Any idea if such rule can be established in the app that it will turn on just for 5 minutes and off for 30 minutes and the cycle repeats.

I have the teckin plugs from Amazon. Don't know if they can do what you want. You may have to spend some coin to get exactly what you want.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Any idea if such rule can be established in the app that it will turn on just for 5 minutes and off for 30 minutes and the cycle repeats.

What are you doing that requires an on/off cycle like that?

I'm thinking that wouldnt be good for a motor if its a fan etc

kasa app for tplink lets you set a schedule

if you could do 10min per hour it would be alot faster to input the schedule.

or you can create routines in the alexa app. it would take about 48 of them 24 ons and 24 offs.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Any idea if such rule can be established in the app that it will turn on just for 5 minutes and off for 30 minutes and the cycle repeats.

What are you doing that requires an on/off cycle like that?

I run a Vornado fan and a dehumidifier to keep the temp and humidity in check.

I have electric heating with ill-insulated walls so the utility bill in winters is ~$400 for a 750 sq ft apt with 60F indoor temps. Not allowed to do any modifications in the apartment so sucking it up until our son graduates from high school (School district is the only reason for renting this apt, no plans of any change on that).
At the moment, I use basic Harbor Freight timer set to run 15 minutes per hour and that alone dropped the bill by $60/month last year. Thought if I run 5 minutes every half an hour, it may be a better option to circulate the air so considering giving it a shot.

Originally Posted by Rand
I'm thinking that wouldnt be good for a motor if its a fan etc

I don't understand the engineering of fan motors. I will be glad if you can elaborate.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
basic problem of home automation.
you need an IT person on payroll or a lot of diy time

Yes! Our house came with a Lutron system. The PO had all sorts of BS "events" that would turn lights on throughout the house at various times between a 24 hr period.

I finally figured out that it's 2 hours faster than actual time and adjusted the outside lights to have them turn on at 5:15 rather 9:30 as the PO previously set them to. I had given up on it it's so frustrating.

I just learned that Lutron isn't going to be app compatible Spring 2020 either. Not sure why Menards still sells the stuff, but I need to look into getting the computer wire that goes into the actual unit and make adjustments.

If you're handy you could buy something like this and hook it up to an appropriately large relay, safely within an electrical box, of course.

I've considered doing something similar to this, to run the circ pump for my baseboard heat a minute every hour so the pipes won't freeze when I run the woodstove.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Might look into a different heater. That size of apartment can be heated by a smaller electric heater I like the micathermic heaters. Lower energy consumption than a built in electric heating system. Most have an eco mode for lower power consumption. Something similar to the link below

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Optimus-...FDOcaDT2GOQmwNIQ1M7H3KMWRf0aAtibEALw_wcB

Thank you.
I didn't know of such heaters. We have one oil filled heater in the bedroom and thats enough for us. I will have to look into it to see if I can turn off heating completely and only run this.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If you're handy you could buy something like this and hook it up to an appropriately large relay, safely within an electrical box, of course.

Thanks. I am not handy enough for such tasks.

Originally Posted by spackard
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6O28NA
Says it has "infinite cycle", differing on and off lengths, which looks like what you're looking for.

1-pack of this timer is $13.99 and there's a $2 coupon, so $11.99.

Thats the first one I checked but the negative reviews scared me. Don't want to take a chance.

Don't you mean a Humidifier ?

Last edited:
I run "SmartLife" app from the Google play store (it's free) and it does timers. I now have my aquarium light set up on a plug and timer using the app. Works like a charm.. recognizes the plugs right out the box and sets a password that matches the wireless password IIRC.

I've connected/synced up all my smart plugs to my Echo/Alexa so I can turn them on/off by voice from anywhere in the house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud

Don't you mean a Humidifier ?

No, DEhumidifier. For some odd reason, humidity in the apartment always stays above 60% and that helps mold growth so we have to run a dehumidifier to keep it below 60%

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I run "SmartLife" app from the Google play store (it's free) and it does timers. I now have my aquarium light set up on a plug and timer using the app. Works like a charm.. recognizes the plugs right out the box and sets a password that matches the wireless password IIRC.

I've connected/synced up all my smart plugs to my Echo/Alexa so I can turn them on/off by voice from anywhere in the house.

Thanks, Which smart plugs do you use?
Is this the app?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
[

I just learned that Lutron isn't going to be app compatible Spring 2020 either. Not sure why Menards still sells the stuff, but I need to look into getting the computer wire that goes into the actual unit and make adjustments.

Lutron has a replacement app. The old app is going away and the new one takes it's place.

Lutron is GTG (good to go) as long as distance limitations are kept in mind.

Last edited:

Thanks, Which smart plugs do you use?
Is this the app?

Yes, that is the exact same app. It works with many brands of wifi smart plugs. Here's a screenshot of the plugs i purchase from Amazon and they worked just fine. It was cheaper to buy a set but you may only need one. And here's a screenshot from inside the App. You can see it tells you the status of the plug and you can set timers and countdown. You can manually override from within the app or physically on the plug there's a button to turn it off/on manually if for some reason you need to. I recently had a problem with algae in my fish tank because I was leaving the overhead light on too long, now that's resolved by automating it off/on for a set time. Well worth the investment in the plugs.

Hope this helps...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks @Mad_Hatter.
They all look the same with similar functionality. I ordered one with a double socket. I hope I can set it up the way I need.

Thanks @Mad_Hatter.
They all look the same with similar functionality. I ordered one with a double socket. I hope I can set it up the way I need.

Yes I think they are all pretty much the same.. there was nothing special about the one's I purchased other than they were a good deal on 4. Hope it works out for you..I love mine, they're super convenient especially now that I've paired them to my Echo device and use voice commands to turn them off/on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back