Tesla 1st world problems thanksgiving

Yikes.

Although I have to wonder if anyone in a horse & buggy ever laughed at a stuck motorist, or laughed when they ran out of gas.

Tesla brought in a mobile " megapack" charger to help alleviate this, but yeah holiday travel to the most popular destination might incur a wait.

An hour doesn't seem too bad comparatively to what I had to deal with recently.

A few weeks ago we were up to a 2.5 hour wait at the only open station in town.

UD

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 11.31.33 AM.png

Yes, there can be EVs waiting in line, even here in Silicon Valley. I have seen 3 cars max.
Some of the chargers charge $1 per minute over full charge. Something like that...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Welcome back to the 70's.

That driver sure spent a lot of time driving on the wrong side of the road.

I wish - I could at least I could get electricity in the 70's

The last few months Northern Californias Pg&E has made Puerto Ricos electrical grid look stable.

Lots of my guys have natural gas backup gens at home and can charge their cars off their own grid.

We had to drive 30 miles away for genset gas - it was that or wait 2.5 hours at Robinson (pict above) that was if they were open and had gas.

The owner to his credit kept prices the same and didnt gouge anyone.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by PimTac
Welcome back to the 70's.

That driver sure spent a lot of time driving on the wrong side of the road.

I wish - I could at least I could get electricity in the 70's

The last few months Northern Californias Pg&E has made Puerto Ricos electrical grid look stable.

Lots of my guys have natural gas backup gens at home and can charge their cars off their own grid.

We had to drive 30 miles away for genset gas - it was that or wait 2.5 hours at Robinson (pict above) that was if they were open and had gas.

The owner to his credit kept prices the same and didnt gouge anyone.

UD

I was watching the storm blow through No California a few days ago. Having a Tesla or other EV getting stuck in the Siskyous could be very bad in those conditions.

On my Maps app the red traffic lines ran from just north of Redding all the way up beyond Ashland OR.

Of course the smart thing would have to been aware of the storm beforehand and not even attempt that trip across the pass.

I could note we have both fuel and power shortages during storms and flooding …
Anyone know the water crossing limits of a Tesla ? Most vehicles don't supply that … think I had only one address that in the Owners Manual

Originally Posted by Audios
Super cool hotel! How far away to the next charging station?

18 miles away -Atascadero

UD

Originally Posted by MadAmos
I just drove by Atascadero...packed 15 or more cars waiting to charge.

Did you get a pict of the megapacks at Madonna?

They claim they are down to a 2 minute wait.

UD

Last edited:
Didn't go to SLO, just happened to pass the Atascadero SC on my way to Taco Bell. It was raining and the bulk of the bank parking lot was full of cars waiting to charge.

Range-extended EV cars like the BMW i8 and Chevy Volt are the best way to go. Takes care of the range anxiety problem
smile.gif

I have a ELR and agree, I only charge at home or at work the good part is I have 50k and have been to a gas station 11 times.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Range-extended EV cars like the BMW i8 and Chevy Volt are the best way to go. Takes care of the range anxiety problem
smile.gif

Yeah. I borrowed a Tesla last week and while it was super fun I did feel like I had range anxiety. Constantly checking the battery icon to see how many miles I have left. Like my phone!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Maybe the 8- not the I3.

The volt/ ELR drives pretty well on its engine the I3 - not so much.

With the I3 you go from range anxiety to hill anxiety.

UD

Last edited:
15 cars in line, 13 cars charging. 1 hour to charge means waiting in line for just over an hour. Not all that bad.

Back