Is Unbranded Fuel ok for my Pacifica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I live in a town of over 100,000 ppl. So [censored] because all the top tier gas stations are gone now. Circle K took all of them over and sell their own branded gas. My owners manual specifically states to use top tier gas. Will the minimum EPA requirement of unbranded gas keep its fuel system clean?

It all comes from the same refinery. The difference between normal gas and "Top Tier" gas is that the branded station spent the $$$ paying the "Top Tier" gas company.

Circle K (Alimentation Couche Tard) is a reputable company.

Most gas sold in Illinois/Minnesota is sourced from Canadian oilsands oil. Its mostly synthetic oil.

Nothing you can do if top tier gas is not available. Are you saying that there are no Costco's , Amoco, Marathon, Shell, Valero etc. in your town?

Add a bottle of Techron from time to time if you are concerned.

Originally Posted by Mark72
So I live in a town of over 100,000 ppl. So [censored] because all the top tier gas stations are gone now. Circle K took all of them over and sell their own branded gas. My owners manual specifically states to use top tier gas. Will the minimum EPA requirement of unbranded gas keep its fuel system clean?

Which car is this? Never heard of a brand that required a specific type of fuel. They usually just mention the octane. Top tier is just an additive package, the gasoline is the same for an entire area.

Same thing is happening in Az, a lot of the Shell stores are now Speedway. Speedway is marathon oil but no top tier stickers on the pump to reassure you. At least we still have a Valero which is top tier. I use top tier as much as possible.

And the other problem is that my owners manual specifically stated NOT to add over the counter additives . For the previous poster this is a 2017 Pacifica

You must be the first person to ever read the manual and worry about your gasoline. Millions of people sump whatever in daily with no issues....

You'll be fine. I run top tier in my 300 only because I have to pass a BP on my home and it's a right turn in and a right turn back out. Our Grand Caravan gets whatever is easiest to get to.

I dropped Circle K when they dropped Shell. They're the second largest c-store so their making the TT investment wouldn't hurt them that much. HyunKia recommends Techron in such cases and I'd do the same with Gumout, Techron or another PEA additive.

Last edited:
Your manual should say if you use E85 use a cleaner such as Chevron Techron. Look under E85 and read warning about Chrysler not covering injector from dirty fuel from ethanol. At least it is in my manual for 2018 Grand Caravan. So essentially you can run a cleaner.

There is absolutely nothing top tier about Circle k unless they fly the BP..Mobil or shell sineage. I just can't believe I live in a college town with 4 colleges...2 hospitals and headquarters of State Farm insurance and all we have is generic gas unless you drive 7 miles to the outskirts of town where they have one BP that is out in the country and one shell station with generic 87 and 89 octane as they only provide shell gas in the 93 V Power. It's ridiculous

I'm sure I saw an earlier list with Circle K on it. Then it disappeared. At first i thought it was like QT which sometimes disappears (does someone forget to send in the check?)..but it looks like Circle K isn't a player. So goodbye.

There is absolutely nothing top tier about Circle k

There's no reason to believe the petrol sold by Alimentation Couche Tard (aka Circle K) is of any lower quality than so-called "Top Tier" stations.

Just because "Circle K" doesn't pay the stupid licensing fee to the "top tier" gas company does not mean their products are of lower quality.

Petrol 'branding' is ridiculous. It all comes out of the same pipeline, it all has to meet the same ATSM standards. There's minimal difference in the additives. Fuel is often blamed for a lot of things, but its rarely the fuel's fault.

There is absolutely nothing top tier about Circle k unless they fly the BP..Mobil or shell sineage. I just can't believe I live in a college town with 4 colleges...2 hospitals and headquarters of State Farm insurance and all we have is generic gas unless you drive 7 miles to the outskirts of town where they have one BP that is out in the country and one shell station with generic 87 and 89 octane as they only provide shell gas in the 93 V Power. It's ridiculous

EPA mandates minimum levels of detergents, and depending where you are in Illinois there is a very good chance they're getting their gasoline from the BP Whiting facility over in Indiana or the Philips 66 refinery. While it might not have Top Tier levels of detergents, it's also not some no name "who knows what's in it!" gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back