Bottle sediment; what is it, and should we worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff at the bottom of Redline oil bottles is premixed wear metals. It is added and then the guys at Redline lurk on the board and watch everyone fight it out. 2ppm of lead up from 1 ppm? Clearly it is causing TWICE the wear and should be viewed with appropriate contempt.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
The stuff at the bottom of Redline oil bottles is premixed wear metals. It is added and then the guys at Redline lurk on the board and watch everyone fight it out. 2ppm of lead up from 1 ppm? Clearly it is causing TWICE the wear and should be viewed with appropriate contempt.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Most sediment is from absorbed moisture and/or additive fallout which includes over based carbonate and VII's settleing out.

As I stated somewhere else VII's are very bad "disolvers" and can also be the culprit the higher the PAO or GPIII content the worse additive solubility that is why esters or AN are added to "clear up" the oil sometime not enough has been added but not a big deal solubility or additive fall out has been around since they made dirt.
bruce

Still waiting for a reply from Chevron on my "Goop". They claim they "stand behind their oils". We'll see.

Our late colleague, Stinky Peterson, basically, through his oil analysis lab, came up with some pretty good evidence to suggest that virgin motor oil is often dirtier than oil that has been in a crankcase and through a full-flow filter a few times.

Personally, I don't shake, and if there is stuff on the bottom of the bottle, it remains on the bottom of the bottle and not in the engine.

While providing a wealth of info, Stinky never provided any proof that the particles he was seeing was dirt. They may have in fact been additives and not dirt. I'd go with the Chevrn and Shell, if you leave that stuff in you may be shorting yourself on additives.

With dino oils I've used, I have noticed that Valvoline and Castrol seem to have less sediment at the bottom of the bottle than other brands. I used to assume that meant they were better quality. Maybe its just because they have weaker additive packages so there is less to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back