* Wax/Sharpen family skis
* swung by liquor store

Storm ready! (8-14" prediction)

Bring it on!

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by madRiver

* swung by liquor store

That's important!

Darn it! Knew I missed something when I was out earlier!

Let's see, I started both snowblowers yesterday; they still run. The 4 wheeler is in the garage; I might change the oil in it again before I put the plow back on (OCD is striking, turns out there's two drain plugs!). I made a run for sand only to find out that I could fill more buckets than I had (moved recently to a new town and they have a different sand ordinance).

Almost ready. But sometimes I think throwing a dart at the door would yield a more accurate weather forecast.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by madRiver
* Snowblower oil change and fueled up
* Wax/Sharpen family skis
* swung by liquor store

Storm ready! (8-14" prediction)

Bring it on!

Yup me to snow movement.

I'm in So. NH about 15mi north of the Haverhill , MA border
So I took the blower out the shed and started her up and ran for a bit. Filled up the gas.

More importantly, I Did a valve adjustment last spring - they were way too tight after just 1 season from new out da box.

Sam oil as least season. Just changed it 1/2 way through so its only got about 10 hours on it.
I shall punish my new Toro with some odd Pacific rim engine

BAD Toro!

NO Beer or Whiskey - I want to keep my limbs and feet where possible ...

HiC ! Oops.

Thought it was interesting everybody and their unclebrother here was filling their 5 gallon gas cans yesterday for a little bit of predicted sleet and a dusting of snow. Guess the first "storm" of the year everybody is somewhat panicking. Made sure my snow blower ran a month ago and changed the oil after 3 years as it maybe had 25 hours on that oil. Plenty of coffee and beer here to keep me through, that and a full tank of propane in the grill worse comes to worse. Also saved a weeks worth of vacation because I be darned if I'm driving up and over the mountain in a major storm, 4wd or not.

Originally Posted by Delta
Also saved a weeks worth of vacation because I be darned if I'm driving up and over the mountain in a major storm, 4wd or not.

Wise decision, it doesn't take much to make the roads a obstacle course. At least 83 in York county.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Also saved a weeks worth of vacation because I be darned if I'm driving up and over the mountain in a major storm, 4wd or not.

Wise decision, it doesn't take much to make the roads a obstacle course. At least 83 in York county.

My manager (who's from Utah) claims that if he can make it in driving his FWD Kia I can make it in no matter what. Thing is he lives right next to the interstate that gets constant attention in inclimate weather, so does the other guys on my end of the week/shift. Pulled up my route on Google Maps and street view and promptly told him if something happens then he can pay for damages and the upcharge on my insurance. Changed his tune after that (and almost sent myself to HR, oof, lol).

PS: I've been on 83 in crappy weather, definitely not a fun ride!

I'd be willing to trade with anyone, 5" of snow in the last 6 hours with 10"-14" overnight Saturday ending Sunday at noon with totals of 15"-20"

We're not supposed to get much of anything here in Southeast PA, which means we'll either get what they predicted or a foot. Wasn't supposed to get anything last week but I know I was firing up a roller coaster and there was snow blowing sideways.

Hopefully the Florida-transplant park manager sees the coating in the forecast and declares Monday a paid snow day. If not, good day to clean my locker and the shop up. I still need to get the all terrains swapped for my snow tires, but that's going to be a job for the mechanic who sunk the lug nuts down with the air impact to the point a 2' breaker bar plus five feet of pipe won't snap them loose. I miss driving around central Bucks and Montco at my old job in snow storms in my 2WD Ram with snow tires and 500 pounds of sandbags keeping the rear end planted, was fun passing and pushing Subarus stuck on shot all-seasons.

That's a really good idea, and now that they'll let us roll a week from year to year I might start doing it.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX

My manager (who's from Utah) claims that if he can make it in driving his FWD Kia I can make it in no matter what. Thing is he lives right next to the interstate that gets constant attention in inclimate weather, so does the other guys on my end of the week/shift. Pulled up my route on Google Maps and street view and promptly told him if something happens then he can pay for damages and the upcharge on my insurance. Changed his tune after that (and almost sent myself to HR, oof, lol).

PS: I've been on 83 in crappy weather, definitely not a fun ride!

It's reasons like that I would not live up north, I did field service for 20 years.

Boss wants you to show up for work in unreasonable conditions, especially if a customer expects you at 9 AM in very bad driving conditions.

here in denver we just got 17 to 24 inches.
before the storm the gas stations were packed like where you going? nowhere.
Grocery stores were packed.
Knuckleheads (California transplants) driving too fast in their SUVs and spinning out.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

It's reasons like that I would not live up north, I did field service for 20 years.

Boss wants you to show up for work in unreasonable conditions, especially if a customer expects you at 9 AM in very bad driving conditions.

That's my forecast tonight...and I have a family, holiday dinner to go to a little later tonight. Snow I don't mind, it's the freezing rain that makes driving "fun"....‚ Thankfully I don't have to get on the interstate.

[Linked Image]

Yeah we got lambasted and it's not done yet. No sure way to tell but probably around 17-19" and 50 mph winds. The babe and I went out and plowed for 2 hours to get a head start on tomorrow.

Ran the smaller generator (Generac IX2000 second generation) on November 1st and then changed the oil in it from the last of my GC to Castrol Edge 5W-30.

Have 20 gallons of gasoline with Sta-Bil, that is enough to run the small generator for 5 days.

Have additional oil for generators.

Have a Double Pole Double Throw 30 amp contacts relay wired into the 120 line of the refrigerator with both Normally Closed contacts in Parallel, and those in series with the wiring to the plug for the refrigerator. That relays coil is connected to a switch that is wired to the blower motor of the furnace. When the switch is selected the relay will open the contacts so the power to the refrigerator is turned off when the blower motor of the furnace is energized. This allows the small generator to power the furnace and the refrigerator not at the same time, with priority given to the furnace. And the little generator has enough power left over to power some lights and a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back