Storing summer tires in crawl space, clear bags ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some summer tires that I want to store in a crawl space. I've cleaned and prepped the area with a shop vac and I'll lay down some cardboard.

Is it okay to use clear construction bags to store them? It's just what I have.

As far as I know, the purpose of using black or opaque bags is to keep out sunlight and UV, but this space basically doesn't get exposed to light at all, other than a tiny bit of LED light through the gap in the wall for the furnace ducts and plumbing.

I store mine either in the basement or garage. I would consider baging them optional in your situation. I don't store mine in bags and never had a problem.

The bags are mostly so you don't smear carbon black on the upholstery of your car when you drive home from the tire shop.

Biggest thing in basements that's bad for tires is ozone-- given off by furnaces.

Store them stacked in the corner of the shed. Oldest ones are summers now at 10years old. They look brand new (senior driven tribeca that has less than 12k miles on it in 10 years).

Originally Posted by Mainia
Uninflate to 15psi

better off overinflating than that.

Uninflate to 15psi

What is your logic behind it?
Leave it alone or pump them up a little imho.
If electric motors, heat sources and light are away even clear bags are overkill, just for neatness.

KrzyÅ›

Spray them down thoroughly with 303 (don't wipe them off), air them up to 44 psi, and don't lay them down. No need to bag them. There isn't enough ozone in the crawl space to worry about.

No need to worry about air pressure without the weight of the car on them, unless you park near enough the car can read the tpms on startup. There's a few threads on here about that happening.

Originally Posted by Rand
Uninflate to 15psi

Why? I would think lowering the pressure would put less stress on the tire. They won't have any weight on them.

I've stored tires over winter in my garage, some sun hits them in the morning thru a window other than that basically dark....never had a problem...a few months or so of storage shouldn't hurt a thing

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Originally Posted by Rand
Uninflate to 15psi

Why? I would think lowering the pressure would put less stress on the tire. They won't have any weight on them.

No, don't change the pressure. Just top it up when you put the tires back on.

Why?

Because overinflating them adds fresh oxygen - and unless you are putting weight on them, they won't flatspot. (and stacking them 4 high isn't enough weight to worry about.)

And because while reducing the pressure will reduce the amount of oxygen while in storage, you have to add fresh oxygen when you put them back on. That's worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back