Turbo Boost Hose Intercooler Connection, Ford vs. GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotally, Ford's is better. Random observation after examination of both our vehicles.

My F-150 they secured the boost hose to the intercooler inlet by a stout worm screw clamp. Her GMC Terrain they use a hard fitting on end of boost hose that is secured with a spring steel clamp and [feels like it] contains an o-ring gasket to seal the connection, but it moves and jiggles around easily. There is a slight film of oil, around where this hard plastic fitting is connected to the intercooler inlet, indicating some leakage of the high pressure boost air. All in all it's a sloppy fit, but by design. The fitting on the intercooler outlet however, is a different design and is firm and very secure. Seems like if they used the inlet fitting style (flex/slop designed in) to allow for movement of the assembly due to engine torque, they'd have used similar design on the outlet end, which is a hard/firm connection not apparently intended to flex much.

Ford uses the goofy spring clip on the older 6.7 diesels between the air/water intercooler and intake and we replace a ton of them from blowing apart. Mishimoto makes an updated/upgraded version that does not let go.

If this loose connection is at a low point in the system, it is indeed by design.

I have heard stories of the Ford system accumulating water condensation in the bottom of the intercooler which can be ingested into the engine with serious results. I think some have actually drilled a pinhole in the bottom of the cooler to prevent this.

Originally Posted by JohnG
If this loose connection is at a low point in the system, it is indeed by design.

I have heard stories of the Ford system accumulating water condensation in the bottom of the intercooler which can be ingested into the engine with serious results. I think some have actually drilled a pinhole in the bottom of the cooler to prevent this.

That problem did exist in the Ford setup, but I believe it was corrected for 2017 model year forward.

As far as the GMC is concerned, yes it is at a low point in the turbo high pressure intake air system. My former wife's 2005 volkswagen tdi diesel (pump duese unit injector type known as a PD) had a similar o-ring sealed boost hose feeding into the intake manifold with similar slop in the fit and those were known to eventually wear down the two nubs the clamp secured onto and leak air. If not replaced they'd eventually blow clean off of the manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back