FRAM XG11665 [4,200 Miles]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have performed 3 OCs on my Rublcon thus far:

800 miles changed OEM filter with XG11665 (this one)
2000 miles (did not change filter) (1,200 Miles on oil)
5000 miles (changed filter) (3,000 miles on oil and 4,200 miles on filter)

At the initial OC (800 miles), I also installed a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug. At the 2,000 mile OC, it was clean, but on this latest OC, it had quite a bit of metal on it (and I probably lost a little because the plug clung to the pan when I removed it).

The XG was twisted slightly and I have seen this on most filters for the 3.6L Pentastar, otherwise it was in good shape. I do wonder if the filters are a little too long OR if the oil filter cap is tightened a bit too much. I torqued mine to exactly 25nm this time (I did not torque the cap for the XG--but I did not "he-man" it tight either).

A Mahle filter and Castrol Edge replaced this filter and oil and I will be moving to a 5K OCI from this point forward.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image from iili.io]

The filter looks fine. My bet is the small O-ring bound slightly and the filter twisted a bit when you screwed the cap down. I torque mine to about 10' pounds, I think the manual says 18. I figured with oil on the cap threads and the two O-rings less is better. No leaks so far, and my filters come out with little to no twist.

I don't know if this is right, but I think so. The pleats are no longer in line from top to bottom, they are displaced from one another, which means one cap moved while the other was fixed. Don't know if this is an insert cartridge into the cap type, but if it is and isn't inserted all the way, twisting can occur. Or like has been said the oring is too tight. Don't know if too long would do this, maybe.

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

That is terrible for such a short OCI on a mesh-backed filter
crazy2.gif

Use the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It uses wire-backed synthetic media, not plastic mesh like the Ultra
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

crazy2.gif

Use the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It uses wire-backed synthetic media, not plastic mesh like the Ultra
smile.gif

Do they make a WIX XP for a canister filter enclosure?

Originally Posted by wwillson
2015_PSD,

Could you cut the media from the body and look for metal flakes?

I opened nearly every pleat and did not see any metal flakes within.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I don't know if this is right, but I think so. The pleats are no longer in line from top to bottom, they are displaced from one another, which means one cap moved while the other was fixed. Don't know if this is an insert cartridge into the cap type, but if it is and isn't inserted all the way, twisting can occur. Or like has been said the oring is too tight. Don't know if too long would do this, maybe.

It is an insert the filter into the cap style, but it was fully inserted and the bottom o-ring "support" spins freely inside the filter (by design). I am at a loss why the twisting occurs, but it is even worse on a non-backed filter--as I am sure that I will see with the Mahle that I installed today.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

crazy2.gif

smile.gif

The efficiency of the WIX XP tends to steer me away from it. The good news is that I am settling on a 5K OCI, so hopefully, it will survive that.

The twist acts like the "tornado" air intake gizmo ... helps increase the efficiency on an oil filter.
lol.gif
Thanks for the C&P.

I think there is a little length difference in filters. I've had a 2017 Jeep Wrangler, my current 2018 RAM 1500 and current wife's 2019 Charger. All with 3.6's. I've used FRAM XG, Mobil1 and the Mopar ones. The FRAM XG is the only one that has never twisted. Both the Mobil1 & Mopar did, but not every time. ?????? I never counted the pleats on FRAM XG's, but the Mobil1's had 47-48 pleats and the Mopar's 57-59 pleats. I mark the cap with some paint "before" I take it off. When re-installing I put the marks back like they were. I never torque the cap. I have "never" changed the O-ring on any of these.
I have put some of these filters with the flat part down little tip with O-ring up. Some are a little longer, about 1/16th of an inch. The part that is longer is the base top & bottom of the filter, not the tip of it. I should've marked the longer ones to see if they are the ones that twisted. Maybe next time if I think about it.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
2015_PSD,

Could you cut the media from the body and look for metal flakes?

I opened nearly every pleat and did not see any metal flakes within.

What I've found is you can't see the metal flakes until you pull the media tight in bright sunlight, then you can't believe how much metal you see. There are flakes on every media I cut and hold up in bright sunlight.

... What I've found is you can't see the metal flakes until you pull the media tight in bright sunlight, then you can't believe how much metal you see. There are flakes on every media I cut and hold up in bright sunlight.
What sort of engine are your flakes coming from? Are they attracted to a magnet?
I rarely see any metal when I look that way.

That filter is VERY long ... does that make it more likely to twist in the housing ? The filter looks good, aside from the slight twist .

Hmm, I just stocked up on WL10010's for my JL....

Was that Gold Plug an MP-02T? I like the idea

Originally Posted by D60
Hmm, I just stocked up on WL10010's for my JL....

Was that Gold Plug an MP-02T? I like the idea

I have 2 of those WIX (made in China). Yes, it is a MP-02T, really like the quality of Gold Plug.

So I visited my stash to investigate. I have a few different brands of filters that fit the 3.6 engine as well as a spare filter cap. The XG filter fits onto the housing button and snaps on and off easily. It also spins freely on the button in the cap. But, this is what I notice. The end caps are not glued for fused to the inside cage which allows them to turn independently of each other. Also, the cage is slightly shorter than the filter media assembly. The button in the cap has a really stiff spring so, I can see where upon assembly that spring pressure could potentially compress the filter media and at the same time the end caps might twist independently of one another. From the pictures here on BITOG, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Here is what I observed from the others in my stash.

Mopar MO-349 This filter is found at my local WM for about $10. This filter has end caps that are solidly fused to the cage and does not allow for compression or twist. Black rubber o'rings. It also meets Chrysler's warranty.

Mobil1 M1c-456A. This is another solidly built filter. Good looking media and looks to have upgraded o'rings. Construction of this filter doesn't allow for twist or compression. WM clearanced these out for some reason but, they can be bought on eBay for a bargain around $5-6 in quantity.

Fram CH11665. (Orange Box) This filter also has a rigid construction with the end caps fused to the inside cage. This filter would not easily twist. The problem with this filter is that the inside cage is somewhat out of spec and really tight on the cap button. It takes some encouragement to get it on the cap button. It takes more than encouragement to get it off. My cap assembly came apart and I had to pry the filter from the button with a screw driver. Fram needs to address this in their production. I can see how so many BITOG posters are showing these with broken cages.

Originally Posted by brights_garage
So I visited my stash to investigate. I have a few different brands of filters that fit the 3.6 engine as well as a spare filter cap.
I have "plain" WIX, Hastings, and Mahle filters on hand. I will check those and add to your data.

Originally Posted by brights_garage
So I visited my stash to investigate. I have a few different brands of filters that fit the 3.6 engine as well as a spare filter cap. The XG filter fits onto the housing button and snaps on and off easily. It also spins freely on the button in the cap. But, this is what I notice. The end caps are not glued for fused to the inside cage which allows them to turn independently of each other. Also, the cage is slightly shorter than the filter media assembly. The button in the cap has a really stiff spring so, I can see where upon assembly that spring pressure could potentially compress the filter media and at the same time the end caps might twist independently of one another. From the pictures here on BITOG, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Here is what I observed from the others in my stash.

Mopar MO-349 This filter is found at my local WM for about $10. This filter has end caps that are solidly fused to the cage and does not allow for compression or twist. Black rubber o'rings. It also meets Chrysler's warranty.

Mobil1 M1c-456A. This is another solidly built filter. Good looking media and looks to have upgraded o'rings. Construction of this filter doesn't allow for twist or compression. WM clearanced these out for some reason but, they can be bought on eBay for a bargain around $5-6 in quantity.

Fram CH11665. (Orange Box) This filter also has a rigid construction with the end caps fused to the inside cage. This filter would not easily twist. The problem with this filter is that the inside cage is somewhat out of spec and really tight on the cap button. It takes some encouragement to get it on the cap button. It takes more than encouragement to get it off. My cap assembly came apart and I had to pry the filter from the button with a screw driver. Fram needs to address this in their production. I can see how so many BITOG posters are showing these with broken cages.

You should contact Fram and explain what you're seeing. They will most likely listen to your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back