Yay, it's above 20f!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this rate we just might hit freezing by noon! Glad I didn't put off switching to a 5w...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Just think -- not officially winter for another 3 weeks yet.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Forecast is for a snow/freezing rain mix later this evening and I'm supposed to go out for a family dinner. Could be a rodeo.. stay tuned!...

Originally Posted by Chris142
40F here. They got 48 inches of snow in the mountains behind us. All the roads there are closed. I had wanted to go ride our side by side but not if it's this cold.

40F? Just put on a jacket. Maybe some gloves if you're going fast and the SxS doesn't give you a wind break.

Originally Posted by supton
40F here. They got 48 inches of snow in the mountains behind us. All the roads there are closed. I had wanted to go ride our side by side but not if it's this cold.

40F? Just put on a jacket. Maybe some gloves if you're going fast and the SxS doesn't give you a wind break.

No windshield. Going out in the cold is guaranteed to make me sick. Always has. Anything under 80F is cold to me.

Last edited:

Well, my brothers area (Cumberland County PA) was to have rain today then freezing rain to sleet. No thanks

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
As I'm typing this, my a/c is on.

Hahaha.. you suck!...‚

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Well, my brothers area (Cumberland County PA) was to have rain today then freezing rain to sleet. No thanks

Yea they're predicting ice in my county (Fulton) sometime possibly tonight and into tomorrow night. Going to be a fun ride into work Sunday night, hopefully once I get off this mountain and into Maryland it'll be just rain. But I know they'll be laying down the salt!

Yeah the snow don't bother me it's the freezing rain. About 10yrs ago we had a freezing rain event that put down 2~3" of rain in places. Cars were totally frozen over encased in ice and you basically couldn't go anywhere, not even for a walk without risking a good spill.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
My garage dropped to 50f. Should I switch to 0w20?
grin.gif

Definitely.. don't wanna risk a dry start ya know....‚ Growing up in SoCal in the 70's and 80's I ran a straight 30 year round.

Originally Posted by supton

No windshield. Going out in the cold is guaranteed to make me sick. Always has. Anything under 80F is cold to me.

Ah.

Just got back from my ATV around a bit, had my winter jacket on, with jeans and regular shoes. Waiting for my toes to warm back up. I think it warmed up to 28F today. I've been making sure to get a walk in every day, get acclimated to the weather--won't be long before 28 feels balmy.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
As I'm typing this, my a/c is on.

Same here. Need some cool weather, not too cold though.

MadHatter: I started my Camry up at 7am today at 29F with a sump full of Delo XLE 10W30. No rattles or nothing

You rebel you!...‚..yeah, you're probably good for a few more degrees south of freezing. What's the lowest you've started the old Camry and at what grade? I don't mind running a 10w in the summer but when it gets in the teens it makes me nervous. Remember, I have this Kia engine that takes a few seconds for the hydraulic tensioners to charge up for the TC. I find that the tick lasts less by a few seconds on avg with a 5w but no more less than with a 0w. This is at ambient, like +60f or so... so I guess that makes sense given a 5w and 0w are gonna be of similar viscosity at around that temp. When it's cold out like it has been the past few days the car seems to warm up faster on the 5w, giving me cabin heat quicker.. so there's that too.

MadHatter: coldest was last January, Boiling Springs PA at top of mountain where brothers house is. Temp was -7F with 50/50 blend of Maxlife 15w40 CJ4/SM and M1 0w20 SN+

Fired up just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back