Mixing hydraulic fluid and ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a SpeeCo branded log splitter yesterday. It came with 5 gallons of AW46, but once the entire system filled up, it's about an inch below the add mark on the dipstick and 1.5 gallons low.

I'm seeing mixed reviews online that don't seem to match what's in my owners manual. People say their manual specifically says not to mix whereas mine says it can be "substituted" ( I take this to mean it's mixable?) as well an an entire switch for cold weather performance.

Are there any long term issues with me topping off the system with ATF? I have plenty of that on hand.

If its a 22 ton log splitter (you didn't state the model or tonnage force) the stated capacity is 5 gallons and usually comes with NAPA ISO 46 fluid.

Filtering is important so stock up on extra filters and replace 1 quart per filter change.

A recommended hydraulic Oil which is a blend of mineral and synthetic base oils can be found in ISO46;

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/130-254-td.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
If its a 22 ton log splitter (you didn't state the model or tonnage force) the stated capacity is 5 gallons and usually comes with NAPA ISO 46 fluid.

Filtering is important so stock up on extra filters and replace 1 quart per filter change.

A recommended hydraulic Oil which is a blend of mineral and synthetic base oils can be found in ISO46;

Thanks. It's a 25 ton.

The reservoir holds 5 gallons. Filling the entire system while maintaining a "filled" amount requires 6.5. It's also good to know ISO46 is a blend.

I'll stick with the one fluid.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Thanks. It's a 25 ton.

The reservoir holds 5 gallons. Filling the entire system while maintaining a "filled" amount requires 6.5. It's also good to know ISO46 is a blend.

I'll stick with the one fluid.

ISO 46 Hydraulic fluid can be based on anything from pure mineral oil, to a mineral oil PAO Blend, to a pure PAO synthetic.

Cold weather performance improves as you go from a mineral oil to a Blend to a synthetic.

When I built log splitters using Caterpillar Rams, I used Schaeffer #254.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I have no idea what it ended up coming with, but I'm assuming it's the cheapest mineral stuff possible. The containers were generic with no manufacturer. Same with the pint of oil it came with. No manufacturer.

I'll see how it does in the cold before topping off.. I guess the less fluid the system has, the faster it'll warm up and since it's cold, nothing should get too hot.

Their idea of cold weather and when to change to a better fluid is 32*F so I may have to make a change sooner rather than later. Somewhat surprising it came with such a thick oil since you'd think anyone splitting wood would be in temps much colder.

Say I did want to switch.

How clean would the system have to be if changing from hydraulic oil to ATF? I assume no old fluid can be left behind. Seems like it'd be easier to stick with a thinner and/ or synthetic hydraulic oil since I'd assume I'd just need to drain and refill.

Maxlife ATF seems like the cheapest well rounded option IMO. Cheap, easy to find and full syn.

Thanks.

... Somewhat surprising it came with such a thick oil since you'd think anyone splitting wood would be in temps much colder.

The fluid that it came with should have the same viscosity as a Dex/Merc ATF since it specs an ISO46 fluid.

I suggested stocking up on filters because those filters can trap a lot of moisture.

Thanks.

... Somewhat surprising it came with such a thick oil since you'd think anyone splitting wood would be in temps much colder.

The fluid that it came with should have the same viscosity as a Dex/Merc ATF since it specs an ISO46 fluid.

I suggested stocking up on filters because those filters can trap a lot of moisture.

How are these systems prone to moisture buildup?

Thanks.

Speeco 25 Ton Log Splitter Manual

Page 10, Item 16, Part No. 3903750, Dip Stick/Breather Cap

Thanks.

Speeco 25 Ton Log Splitter Manual

Page 10, Item 16, Part No. 3903750, Dip Stick/Breather Cap

This is what I was guessing, but I wanted to make sure.

It's garage kept and will never see rain so that should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back