Son deployed-gas question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a thread on this.
BMW 328i in NC
I changed the oil and topped off with BP Prem (may have up to 10% ethanol)
Been driving it every 10 days for 20 minutes for 2 months.
Still have a 1/2 tank with 4 oz of STA-BIL.

Thinking of the ethanol that may or may not be in the tank. 10 months till he gets back.

Do I top off with non ethanol?
Hurry and burn off more and then top off?
Keep going as I have been then top off?

Thanks

Sta-Bil with the recommended dose of one ounce per 2.5 U.S. gallons is good for one year of storage. You can double dose with Sta-Bil and it is good for 2 years.

I'd fill it up with fresh gas (diluting the "old" gas), add a double dose of StaBil Marine, and then let it sit for 10 months. It will be absolutely fine.

You'll get multiple opinions on this. Personally, I'd keep driving it til it's down to around 1/4 tank, and then fill with non-ethanol. I'd also treat the new fill with Stabil.

Last edited:
My advice for storing the car is the same.

Fresh oil
Minimum fuel
Tires at max
Battery Tender

Put a tub of Damprid on the back floor and leave it parked. Put some fresh gas in when you take it out of storage.

When I stored my 1985 Olds 88 coupe each winter I jacked up the car with a bottle jack and put wood against the frame and bricks under the wood in four spots each on the frame rails towards the center of the car by each tire. Some tires will develop flat spots if the car sits on them for months without moving.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
When I stored my 1985 Olds 88 coupe each winter I jacked up the car with a bottle jack and put wood against the frame and bricks under the wood in four spots each on the frame rails towards the center of the car by each tire. Some tires will develop flat spots if the car sits on them for months without moving.

Leaving the suspension hang is terrible for the rubber bushings.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
I had a thread on this.
BMW 328i in NC
I changed the oil and topped off with BP Prem (may have up to 10% ethanol)
Been driving it every 10 days for 20 minutes for 2 months.
Still have a 1/2 tank with 4 oz of STA-BIL.

Thinking of the ethanol that may or may not be in the tank. 10 months till he gets back.

Do I top off with non ethanol?
Hurry and burn off more and then top off?
Keep going as I have been then top off?

The "modern fuel going bad" is one of the biggest internet myths around. While valid for carbureted engines, it has no merit with today's fuel injection systems which are pretty well sealed so the fuel isn't prone to oxidation. I've had half a dozen cars in storage with gas over 4 years old that run just fine with the old gas when I put them back on the road. One even with 8 year old gas. No reason to drive it every 10 days. Just fill it up with gas so there is less chance of water condensation, inflate the tires to 50 psi and park it with a battery maintainer. Then you can take the tag off and cancel insurance to save some money as well.

Thanks to all.
I canceled all but the base insurance ($80 -6 months added to my policy) so the day he gets back he has a car with no DMV trips
smile.gif

I guess its also good if my car breaks down or is in the shop.

Last edited:
You're doing fine. You're also keeping the brakes scraped off and the seals lubed. Run the AC.

Originally Posted by eljefino
You're doing fine. You're also keeping the brakes scraped off and the seals lubed. Run the AC.

Thanks. I have... and the heat too unfortunately

Since gasoline is hydrophobic, you want as much in the tank as possible to drive out any water/condensation that would otherwise accumulate.
Fuel stabilizer is a nice touch, especially if added to the tank before filling. Serves as a bit of upper cylinder lube to keep the rings free from sticking to the cylinder walls (in addition to clean engine oil).

Drive it like you are doing. Keep the tank full. Empty tanks get filled with water from water condensation from the air. No need for stabil if you drive it every 2 weeks.

My son has deployed 6 times, they ranged from 6-10 months. Fresh oil and filter, air up the tires {slightly over inflated}, Stabil Marine and a quart of MMO dumped in at the gas station, then fill the tank. He'd drive the car about 30 minutes and park it. If it needed a jump when got back he'd jump it. He had no problems doing it that way.

Thank him for his service!

I agree with fuel injection gas going bad is not as big of an issue. I would still put some stabilizer in the gas and top it off with fresh fuel. No need to run it every once in awhile.

I would take the battery out though and put it on a battery tender to keep it charged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back