schaeffers or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
264,000 miles on my 2003 7.3 Excursion. Truck sits outside all year in MInnesota. I've only used Schaeffer 9000 5-40w since 20,000 miles. Looking go go over 300k and I'll stick with Schaeffer oil. Only repairs in all those miles has been new injector cups and a new oil pa (rusted out) both at 218,000 miles. Neither repair was oil related. I'm still on my original turbo. Only one engine sensor replaced in all those miles.

Originally Posted by walt501
264,000 miles on my 2003 7.3 Excursion. Truck sits outside all year in MInnesota. I've only used Schaeffer 9000 5-40w since 20,000 miles. Looking go go over 300k and I'll stick with Schaeffer oil. Only repairs in all those miles has been new injector cups and a new oil pa (rusted out) both at 218,000 miles. Neither repair was oil related. I'm still on my original turbo. Only one engine sensor replaced in all those miles.

Yup, that's the 7.3 for you. And it can be done on Tractor Supply 15w-40 at $9 a gallon or Schaeffer's for almost 3x that. Good oil is good oil. It doesn't have to be synthetic to get those results.

Walt,

I have never used the Schaffer's oil, but I do know that oil has a good quality. By using the 5W40 is smart as well. I bet the inside of your 7.3 is as clean as can be. When I had my 7.3, I used a few brands ( Delo 15w40, Rotella 15w40 and mostly the Motor Craft 15w40).

The Motor Craft 15w40 was made for Ford by Phillips-Conoco and was a decent oil. I used the buy the 5 Quart Jugs at WM (3 Jugs for an oil change) along with the Factor Motor Craft Oil Filter (FL-1995) at WM.It's been a while but if I am not mistaken the oil and oil filter was about $50 or so. The oil filter was pretty large and easy to remove/install. I would loosen it slightly then take a steel punch and poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and let the filter drain into the waste container to avoid any mess before removing the old oil filter as it held a fair amount of oil.I changed the oil and oil filter every 5000 miles.

Reading about your oil pan replacement, I remember years ago, there was some type of service bulletin regarding oil pan rust on the 7.3's. The dealer sold a can of a coating for the oil pans to combat this issue. I can't remember the part number but it was in a can and it reminded me of liquid tar.

The procedure was pretty simple. I remember lightly sanding down the oil pan (not removing it) than taking a paint brush and coating the oil pan. I placed two coats on to be safe, it dried quickly. This stuff worked, never had a rust issue regarding the oil pan.

I would hang on to your Excursion as long as possible, the 7.3 is still a sought out engine for it's quality, power and reliability. When I had my 7.3, I remember many of the 6.0 folks liking my 7.3.

In my current truck (2011 Ram 3500 4x4) I have the Cummins 6.7. I only run Shell Rotella T6 5W40 year round. The Cummins seems happy. The manual states 7500 or 6 months for oil changes. I change the oil every 5000 or 6 months because of the emissions on the truck. The oil gets black real fast (soot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back