Plumbing help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is remodeling her kitchen. She moved the kitchen sink to a different location. The old location will house the dishwasher. The water feed and existing 1.5inch waste line are present at the wall. Without a sink next to that location, I'm not sure how to connect the dishwasher to the existing waste line located at the wall. It's wrong to feed it directly into the waste line and I have not seen fitting that would allow that. In the basement directly below that location, if you were to follow the waste line down into the basement, you'll find the utility sink with a drain trap that we could tie into. We could also run a line under the bases of the cabinets and tie into the new sink trap location however it's not very close and level. If it were my house, I think I'd run the dishwasher drain line directly down into the basement and tie into the existing trap at the utility sink, and cap the existing drain behind the dishwasher.

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dishwasher waste line runs up to a made-for-purpose breather on the top of the sink (connects from below), then goes in the side of the garbage disposal, which then wastes into the sink drain below the sink and above the P trap. Everything in that chain has been replaced at one point or another and it hasn't given my any problems as far as the routing is concerned.

One thing I noticed when I replaced the dishwasher this year, was the new hose has an anti-backflow valve in it. The old one didn't, neither did any at Lowe's or HD. But I really liked the feature, so even though the far end didn't fit my breather correctly, I made it work so I could keep the valve and use the new line. I could have finished the job much faster by re-using the old line, or one from the big box store.

If the DW drain hose is long enough to reach an air gap, going across the cabs inside, and then the air gap outlet hose goes down to the GD or sink trap it should be OK. Then cap the existing drain. That would be the same as if the DW was right next to the sink.
49.gif

I am not a plumber and am just throwing out some ideas to investigate further:

- I had the same thought as Farnsworth. From the airgap (code in many areas), the water gravity drains to the conventional dishwasher sink connector.

- I think it is incorrect to run the drain into the basement because a siphon effect can occur and drain ALL of the water out of the dishwasher when it isn't supposed to.

- Some dishwashers can use a drain hose up to 12' long, so that is a possibility also. But the Farnsworth idea might impose less strain on the dishwasher pump. Keep mindful of the "high loop" and or air gap needs.

- Maybe there is some way to install a standpipe with P trap on the existing drain behind the dishwasher, but I am not sure about the height requirements, venting, air gap, etc..

The pros at the Terrylove.com forum would reply to your pictures with code approved solutions.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I am not a plumber and am just throwing out some ideas to investigate further:

- I had the same thought as Farnsworth. From the airgap (code in many areas), the water gravity drains to the conventional dishwasher sink connector.

- I think it is incorrect to run the drain into the basement because a siphon effect can occur and drain ALL of the water out of the dishwasher when it isn't supposed to.

- Some dishwashers can use a drain hose up to 12' long, so that is a possibility also. But the Farnsworth idea might impose less strain on the dishwasher pump. Keep mindful of the "high loop" and or air gap needs.

- Maybe there is some way to install a standpipe with P trap on the existing drain behind the dishwasher, but I am not sure about the height requirements, venting, air gap, etc..

The pros at the Terrylove.com forum would reply to your pictures with code approved solutions.

Exactly right, the drain must go up or the dishwasher will drain during its cycle.

Not a plumber either, I would do it like a washmachine drain with a standpipe, Just make sure to loop the hose above the DW basin level and find a way to secure the hose so when its jiggling around when draining it doesn't jump out of the standpipe. Ive made my "chinese finger trap" connexion solution to secure the hose using heavy ga. wire wrapped around both drain collar and hose proper.

There may be ready and porper plumbing solutions as there exist many DW installed in Islands these days.

I would search Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back