Old school door lock issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am unable to open the drivers door of my 70 Chevelle from the outside or inside. Button pulls up and goes down and the inside handle is not stuck but the door does not open. Using a slim jim it appears that the rod going from the lever to the lock is still in place but outside button and inside lever are dead. Crank window, any ideas?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Taking off the interior door panel will likely tell you. Good luck.

I agree. You will have to take off the panel anyways just to see what's wrong.

Yep, the latch rod is likely disconnected right at the latch. You might be able to shine a light down from the outside and use the slim jim to pull the latch mechanism up to get the door opened at least.

A 70 Chevelle is worth fixing.
Several months ago my 2006 Sentra did the same thing.
It also needed front rotors and pads and new struts.
It had 206 K miles on it.
I sent it to the junkyard for $220.
I got another new Hyundai Elantra G.T.
Great little somewhat unknown car.

As stated the latch rod appears to be in place. I also do know know hot to remove the door panel without the door open as the outside rim of the interior panel is behind the door frame when the door is closed.

Double awt sebin
Here is your latch
[Linked Image]

As you can see the plunger from the outer door handle and the lever that connects to the inside lever are somewhat separate. My guess is that something fell apart deeper into the latch. You are going to need get a rod inside the door to lift the claw. Are you sure that the lock rod is up?

Last edited:
You need to go in from the top via an open window and try to manipulate the latch directly.. Coat hanger I guess? IDK, I have the same issue but I would rather trash the door panel of my car than a 1970 Chevelle!

You can also try whacking where the latch is with your hand while operating the door handle. If it is just a stuck latch, that might work. If you get it open, clean the latch before you put it back together again.

Get us a picture of what you have to work with. Is there a "pocket" where the inside door handle is, that can be removed with accessible hardware? Then you could stick a mirror or endoscope in. I got an endoscope for $15 on amazon!

Originally Posted by Kestas
Pretty hard to remove the door panel if you can't open the door. Keep at it with a slim jim.

Yepper..hard as in not gonna happen without hacking into the panel itself....‚

This actually happened on an old beater i had when I was a teen, albeit it was the rear passenger. Friend of mine got out, heard something pop and drop - it was a clip or something like that... never could get it open there after. From then on anyone getting into the back either had to climb through the window (...‚we were teenagers) or use the door on the opposite side and slide over.

Lots of tweaking with various old school slim jim tools and some WD40 has seemed to solved the issue! Just glad something was not broke or at least it seems that way for now! Thanks for all the ideas.

Originally Posted by 007
Lots of tweaking with various old school slim jim tools and some WD40 has seemed to solved the issue! Just glad something was not broke or at least it seems that way for now! Thanks for all the ideas.

ðŸ‘

With these older cars I often removed the entire latch plate, cleaned all the old hardened grease and relubed it. Same with the window channels. Do it as soon as the mechanism starts getting arthritic. It'll save the parts from getting overstressed and broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back