sound bar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 year old Samsung sound bar (HW-M450) hooked up to a Samsung T.V.
Lately I noticed that I had to turn the volume up from around 25 to 50 just to hear it.
So I put my ears to the right side of the bar and there was volume.
When i tried the left side nothing.
The T.V. speakers are fine.
Just thought of something I need to check the left right balance.
I dont even know if it has a balance function.
Just looked in the sound bar guide and saw no balance function.

Last edited:
I have heard that Samsung sound bars are hit and miss. I have a Yamaha sound bar that I've had no trouble now for two years. They get good reviews on various websites.

Originally Posted by HangFire
What kind of interface is used to hook it up?

Can you check the L-R balance on the TV?

It's hooked up with an optical cable.
Will check the T.V. speakers balance.

I have purchased 3 sound bars in my lifetime. I was never happy with any of them. Just getting them to come on and sync up was frustrating. My last sound bar was a $699 Sony purchase. Still disappointed. I sold it for $200 cash.

I finally got fed up and went out and purchased an inexpensive receiver and added a sub, center and 2 front speakers. Even my wife said I made a wise purchase.

Of course, my daughter has a Samsung sound bar and she is happy. My son has a Sony sound bar and he is happy. And many of you are happy with yours.

It's probably me, but I was always getting frustrated. My Sony did the same thing. You would have to go wide open to get the sound up to where you could here it.
I called Sony and there was some setting on my TV that was off. You may call Samsung. Do you have a Samsung TV?

Originally Posted by Gebo
I have purchased 3 sound bars in my lifetime. I was never happy with any of them. Just getting them to come on and sync up was frustrating. My last sound bar was a $699 Sony purchase. Still disappointed. I sold it for $200 cash.

I finally got fed up and went out and purchased an inexpensive receiver and added a sub, center and 2 front speakers. Even my wife said I made a wise purchase.

Of course, my daughter has a Samsung sound bar and she is happy. My son has a Sony sound bar and he is happy. And many of you are happy with yours.

It's probably me, but I was always getting frustrated. My Sony did the same thing. You would have to go wide open to get the sound up to where you could here it.
I called Sony and there was some setting on my TV that was off. You may call Samsung. Do you have a Samsung TV?

A receiver and even just the center/L/R will definitely take up more room but I'd venture to say always sound better. I've got a 5.0 setup right now (excluded the sub for now since I'm back in an apartment) and it's fantastic. Can always check Facebook for used equipment too for cheap.
I however am looking into a sound bar for my mom since she finally upgraded her TV.

Those things are a real PITA. Finally got one. If it died tomorrow I'd not chase another. I thought I was smart getting an LG bar because it would sinc right up with an LG TV......🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸...ha ha ha send in the 🤡 Lots of issues between which remote controls what and how to set each do they can live🤬 with each other. Most times if you have an issue it's in a setting . Just don't lose that remote.......
I just went through a remote battle with the old lady over her piling her Christmas bull💩 so it blocked the IR button. Is it so hard to leave enough gap in the stupid figurines that the laser will hit and make it go up, down and mute! Yea for some of us it really is.

OP: likely you have a damaged internal amp chip or speaker proper as you toslink digital signal cannot be modified from it's S/P delivery protocol.

I have a small one just for convenience in front of the TV with a small self powered "sub" on the floor.
But The Simulated surround or stereo mix down from the optical (S/P dif ) is pretty bad. Lots of resonances, delayed internal reflections and resultant "vowel" colorations on voices along with odd voluem imbalances from senter dialogue hard panned sound effects. I used to be an audiophile but I don't have amuch hearing above 7Khz anymore. But I can still hear problems from mid bass through upper vocal and first overtone range. All soundbar solutions under 400 bucks sound like garbage to me.

MY issue is my analog out on the Xfinity box is not good so i will have to take the audio off the HDMI. The previous box had a good stereo mixdown with ow distortion.

I suppose I should get a small HT receiver that will allow a stereo mix down. I'm not in the mood to have speakers all over the place.

Though Yamahaha amps are just "meh" sounding, they used to do digtal processing well.

Anybody know if any of the smaller, inexpensive HT receiver have a decent mixdown capability where i can strip digital audio off the HDMI ARC input ?

I'm done with toslink. I can appreciate the galvanic isolation, but the optical amps and receivers appear to be poorly implemented in most modest HDTV and cable boxes.

I was thinking of buying a pair of the excellent for the money previous model Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers. They are super inexpensive right now. Maybe sold out!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
I unscrewed the back off my LG and cut the speaker wires - drilled a couple of 3/16" holes in the bottom of the plastic cabinet and ran wires to a pair of Minimus 7s that sit alongside the TV.
A world of difference in audio quality .....

Ah the good 'ole Minimus 7 aluminum cabinet Mini speaker!. A blast from Rat Shack past. Always grabbed a couple pairs when they went on 1/2 price sale.

Surprised the little digital amps in the soundbar had enough oomph to get any decent level out of the Minimi

Last edited:
Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by HangFire
What kind of interface is used to hook it up?

Can you check the L-R balance on the TV?

It's hooked up with an optical cable.
Will check the T.V. speakers balance.

I checked the balance on the T.V. it's right in the middle.
Both T.V. speakers are working.
The speakers on the Samsung T.V. are pretty good.
I think I'm just going to continue that way.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Ah the good 'ole Minimus 7 aluminum cabinet Mini speaker!.

I'm using the wood cabinet "made in Japan" minis and the audio power is from the TV's internal little 10/10 watt power amp.
Bought a great pair of aluminum mini 7s a couple of weeks ago at the thrift store for $5.00

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Ah the good 'ole Minimus 7 aluminum cabinet Mini speaker!.

I'm using the wood cabinet "made in Japan" minis and the audio power is from the TV's internal little 10/10 watt power amp.
Bought a great pair of aluminum mini 7s a couple of weeks ago at the thrift store for $5.00

The later ones with the leaf tweeter were pretty good - much better highs. The Minimus 7 had a REALLY good woofer driver but a nasty tweeter.
I used the woofers and re-did the xover using my fave and cheap audax 3/4" plastic dome with phase plug. Nice sparkle and sweet.

IN fact I have a spare NIB 4" Realistic replacement woofer for the minimus 7 in my audio parts cabinet.

I have a great 5.1 system. Pioneer Receiver, Klipcsh 12"250 watt sub. Altec- Lansing center, Pinnacle L/R fronts and Atlantic Technology rears... Have a few pther sets of speakers including Canton and Klipcsh.... all sitting in boxes in my basement storage space. I run with a Vizio 5.1 soundbar with a wireless sub. It sounds great and has functioned flawlessly. We moved to a newer townhome so a receiver and full on sound system was not practical for our family room.
Different story for our beach home. Have a Pinnacle MB 6000 5.1 system... Similar design to the Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelves paired with a circa 1998 Sony Str-de675....it sounds great and I can crank it up in winter when neighbors are not there. But the Vizio sound bar truly surprised me in both sound quality and reliability.

I'll take a look .Funny thing I just came up from the lower floor after tuning-up the oil burner on my heating system water boiler, It was running to long in a heat cycle without coming up to high limit..

I haven't taken out the summer nozzle which is only 0.75 GPH. I cant push the pump higher than 115psi sinch I have a shallow firebox and the pump is getting on. Diesel flame throwers are fun until they don't work
smile.gif

RS 4" speaker driver:
I would "guess" the driver is made in Japan Its got to be 30 years old. its Paper cone w/ Butyl(?) rubber surround.

I have a 35 year old set of custom Studio Monitors ( Large bookshelf ) designed by Carl Marchisotto of Alon, Nola and Dahlquist.

They use the DQ-10 Woofer and midrange with a Vifa fabric Tweeter. Never had them out of the box!

Ill look at the woofer when I get a minute.

Last edited:
Probably a lot of folks out there laughing at "4 inch woofer" ......
Funny you would mention butyl - every time I've read ARCOgraphite over the years I've thought "Atlas bucron"

Are your Carl Marchisotto speakers open driver?

I just took a photo of the 4" speaker. I got to side load it to my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back