Rate of oil burn, not bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going for some opinions here:
I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna with just over 201,700k on it. I use Castrol 10-30 High Mileage oil. Which is what I started using when I got it in 2012 with 136k on it.
I burn just under 12.5 oz of oil every 1,000 miles. That doesn't seem too bad to me. What do you think?

(Also, had an oil analysis done by Blackstone two oil changes ago. While some values could be better they did not denote anything particularly remarkable or worrisome at that point).

Keep doing what you are doing. Also, keep it topped off (aka never more than 1 quart low). My preference is for Valvoline Maxlife, but you cannot go wrong with any name brand high mileage oil.

Since you've owned it has it always burned that much more or less?..or has it been gradually increasing? Is this normal for this engine? If it is, there's not a whole lot you can do about it besides run a thick HiMi and drive that bad boy into the ground however long that will take... otherwise, unless you're willing to crack it open and look at/replace the stem seals and rings. Even then that may not solve things if this engines got a known drinking problem.

Check/clean/replace your pcv valve if you haven't done so already.

Last edited:
probably hardened up valve seals.
seeing as you're at 200k+, it would be a viable repair if you wanted 400k miles out of it.
Which you probably don't.

18 year old car with 200 000 miles ... worth virtually nothing to sell it.

You can try and fix whatever is causing the oil consumption issue. For possibly $ 100's or $ 1000's of dollars.

OR ...

You can put a $ 3.00 quart of oil in once a month.

Your choice.

For the mileage the consumption is not bad. I'd look for leaks, replace the PCV valve with an OE valve, if you haven't already done so, and try a 5W40 oil. If what I mentioned fails, I'd keep driving and top up the oil when needed.

Do you notice any drips in your driveway? My '98 LS400 with 302K miles started "using" oil around 280K and it finally started dripping. I have been smelling oil about the last 5K.

I found out I have 2 very bad cam seal leaks. Massive leaks. 6 spots overnight. May have to start a "GO FUND ME" page to finance the repairs.

grin2.gif

Otherwise, that oil usage (1 qt/3K) is not bad at all for a 200K+.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I read each one. Probably should have, as one commentor did, put the 1 quart equivalent in there to make things a little easier.
So I'm burning a quart every 2,500 miles.

I actually have no idea what the burn rate was when I first got it because I really didn't start keeping track until last year at this time. Again because I did not find it particularly odd or concerning the amount I had to add between oil changes. So I'm currently only on my third oil change keeping such a record.

I always shoot for the oil and filter change in the 4000 mile range, but unfortunately I sometimes go up to the 5's and occasionally the early 6's. I always use a higher end filter or one that is touted as such. My favorite and the one I use most often is Royal Purple. Although currently I'm using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Changing that PVC sounds like a good idea. I can get that done almost right away, but being on a fixed income anything major that is optional at the moment I need to defer..

And no, I actually do not see any particular leaking or spotting on the ground.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back