Honda Timing Belt date code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here have a official reference for reading the numbers on the timing belt? I can only assume a production date on 2006.

IMG_20191129_112900496.jpg

IMG_20191129_112911129.jpg

I would not want to put a 13 year old belt on my car either......................
Go back to your dealer.......

I believe that 7-06 indicates it was made the 6th week in 2017.

Having seen belts with 32 + on the right column I dont believe that corresponds to day.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Having seen belts with 32 + on the right column I dont believe that corresponds to day.

UD

That would be great news. I got the belts off ebay from partscontainer. Retail is about $60.00 They had it for $19.00 shipped! I just need to verify this is not old-stock.

Originally Posted by Quest
why? does the date code concerns you?

Q.

Gates makes this belt, according to the gates website belts are only good for 8 years sitting on the shelf in controlled conditions.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Anybody here have a official reference for reading the numbers on the timing belt? I can only assume a production date on 2006 or 2007.

Originally Posted by borgward
How to read date code on belt code for Ford Fiesta?

it depends on the belt manufacturer
smile.gif

(Gates, Bando, Continental, Dayco, etc)

Originally Posted by borgward
Wouldn't that be true for Honda as well. Who makes Honda's belts? Who makes Motorcraft belts?

The OP's belt is made by Gates Unitta, the Japanese subsidiary of Gates.

I don't know who makes Motorcraft belts.

UD

That would be great news. I got the belts off ebay from partscontainer. Retail is about $60.00 They had it for $19.00 shipped! I just need to verify this is not old-stock.

There have been a lot of "fake" Honda parts on eBay being sold at absurdly low prices. If the price is too good to be true I would be suspicious.

Originally Posted by The Critic

UD

There have been a lot of "fake" Honda parts on eBay being sold at absurdly low prices. If the price is too good to be true I would be suspicious.

Exactly. A timing belt is something I would want to be certain it is real.

US Gates belts have a 14 digit identifier code on them you can enter on line to determine authenticity and build date.

Not sure about "Unita"/Gates but an email or call to their service dept may shed some light on it.

UD

Gates was not able to confirm if my belt was 2007 or 2017. Because of the fading of the bag and belt, my bet is probably a 2007. I am sending the belt back. I was told that belts made for OEM are in fact built to the manufactures specs, Napa belts would be built to a different spec. Honda also did not know.

Gates.png

Last edited:
Gates was not able to confirm if my belt was 2007 or 2017. Because of the fading of the bag and belt, my bet is probably a 2007. I am sending the belt back. I was told that belts made for OEM are in fact built to the manufactures specs, Napa belts would be built to a different spec. Honda also did not know.

Did you really buy only the belt? Why not the whole kit? I know the Aisin kits are popular among Japanese cars
smile.gif

I don't know if Honda or Gates will do this, but someone else on here who purchased a Continental timing belt contacted Conti about the belt being old, and they sent him a new belt.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Did you really buy only the belt? Why not the whole kit? I know the Aisin kits are popular among Japanese cars
smile.gif

I don't know if Honda or Gates will do this, but someone else on here who purchased a Continental timing belt contacted Conti about the belt being old, and they sent him a new belt.

I ordered the Aisin kit off Amazon, on the way. I phoned Continental and the timing belt p/n T187 production was switched from Germany to Mexico about five years ago. I may just use the belts in the Aisin kit if they are not very old. else I can just pick up some fresh 2019 yr Gates belts at o rillies. Btw Bando P/N TB186 the balance shaft belt is made in Japan. The Bando Timing Belt T187 is coming out of Mexico not Germany like all the pictures of it on line. I own two Accords that have belts due.

Originally Posted by The Critic

UD

^^^

This x100. I don't trust Ebay or even Amazon sellers for 'OEM' Honda parts. Its way too easy to knock off their part number labels.

Case in point:

https://tinyurl.com/w7c4nhn

My favorite 'OEM Honda' ad of all time and response by the seller when called out for selling fake parts.

"There was a "made in china" label on box containing the parts. i is this curious to anyone? any concern about genuine, oem nature of the parts?"

"Hello, each of our products has a unique number. Each number can be verified on the official website. We are the Chinese agent of Honda, have a power of attorney, the warehouse is in China, and the product box exported from China must be marked. Made in China, the products are OEM"

The AISIN kit should serve you well. They are what I use in mine and they've always been top notch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back