Mercedes w126 300sel Tires 205/65/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the General Altimax RT43's and just realized that they offer two different speed ratings, T and H.

I believe my 1988 300sel came with a V rated tire which is more in line with an H rated tire.

I can get the T rated tire for $72 per tire and the H rated tire for $83.99

Am I compromising anything if I go with the cheaper tire (T rated)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
The T rated ones will likely last longer, and ride better, than the H ones. How fast are you planning on driving it? T is 118 MPH, H is 130-both pretty fast!

It's currently my daily driver. I do not drive fast.

Once I get my Civic and or my w116 300sd back on the road, my w126 300sel will be parked in the garage and maybe only be driven 3 times a month.

RT43 comes in T, H, V in many sizes. Handling improves and treadlife diminishes slightly with each iteration. I would get the H.

I had an '89 300se. Called Tire Rack to order some T rated tires and the salesman said because it required an H rated tire they wouldn't sell me what I wanted. I bought a set of T rated Yokohama Avids from another source. Never had a problem.

That was the most comfortable car I've ever had.

Originally Posted by Gito
It's currently my daily driver. I do not drive fast.

Once I get my Civic and or my w116 300sd back on the road, my w126 300sel will be parked in the garage and maybe only be driven 3 times a month.

You dont drive fast.
You will drive it 3 times a month.
Buy the cheapest tires Discount tire has.

Falken makes a W-rated tire in that size
19.gif

The Falken Ziex ZE950 is actually what I had on my car. Same size, too, and right now they are less than $50 from Walmart
smile.gif

Also, most tire shops will not install a lower speed rating than original, except in the case of snow tires. A lot of Japanese cars used V-rated tires in the size 205/65-15 in the 90s, so there is still some kind of tire selection in that size and rating. The popular Cooper CS5 Ultra is available in your size with a V-rating.

In addition, the recent trend of 3-peak all-season "all weather" tires are legally considered winter tires because they carry the 3-peak sign, which means you can get the lower speed rating installed on your car, but even then, some of them are V-rated in your size, like the Kumho Solus HA31

You can also get the V-rated Vredestein Sportrac 5 in your size

Originally Posted by Passport1

I had an '89 300se. Called Tire Rack to order some T rated tires and the salesman said because it required an H rated tire they wouldn't sell me what I wanted. I bought a set of T rated Yokohama Avids from another source. Never had a problem.

That was the most comfortable car I've ever had.

Here in Colorado if you go to the Mexican tire shops they will sell you whatever you want.
I once went to Discount tire for a rotation and they refused because my tread was below the minimum on the front tires.
They just wanted me to buy 4 new ones.
I was planning on replacing them before winter but just couldn't at the time and wanted to squeeze a little more out of them.
Went to a Mexican shop and got them rotated for $20 with no sales pitch.
I went back to the same shop several months later and bought 4 new tires.

The big difference is the treadwear warranty. On the T rated tire, you get 75k miles and on the H and V rated you only get 65k. If you're not going to drive it that much, then I would just get the T rated tires. H and V rated tires have softer compounds for high speed grip, but they wear away quicker which is why you have the shorter treadwear warranty.

Thanks everyone for all of the info and recommendations.

Ended up with the H rated General Altimax RT43. I got the H rated tire for the same price as the T rated tire ($72.99 ea.)
I also bought the road hazard warranty for an additional $6 per tire.
Tire shop promo was buy 3 tires get one free, so the grand total after taxes was $337.89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back