Trying to consolidate oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned an incredible amount from this site, and am hoping I can glean a little more information. I had a question, did quite a lengthy search, and can't seem to find anything that quite answers this question.

My wife and I both love older cars. Collectively we have a 93 jeep Wrangler, a 86 Suzuki samurai, 90 geo tracker, as well as a somewhat new 12 Subaru legacy. At the moment, I'm stationed at Fort Bliss, and before I leave here to go back to Ohio, we will most likely be picking up another samurai or tracker.

The question I have is:
The jeep specs 10w-30 or 5w-30 dependent on temp.

The Subaru specs 5w-30,5w-40 all temps. Or 10w-30,10w-40 at 0 degrees f and up.

The samurai and tracker both state that 10w-30 is preferred, but also state that 5w-30, 10w-40, 10w-50, 15w-40, 15w-50, and 20w-50 can also be used dependent on temp!

I am currently using these vehicles in El Paso, TX, but shortly will be moving this small fleet up to northern Ohio, and will most likely be there for the foreseeable future.

One last bit of information that might be pertinent is after I learned about the clearance deals at AutoZone (Thanks to this site for the heads up!!!) I purchased a fair bit of Shell RGT in 5w-30 and 0w-20( I also change oil on my moms car).

I don't mean to cause a flame war, poke a hornets nest, disturb the peace, cause unrest...

The question I have though, is can I consolidate all of these vehicles down to using one or two oils, so that I can simplify supply and also capitalize on any future rebates by buying a "universal" oil?

In Ohio 10w-30 summer fill and 5w30 winter.

Or just do a quality 5w30 synthetic year round.

Wow... I didn't expect this many responses so quickly! Thanks you guys!

Just a little bit more information to add( didn't want to make my first post too complicated).

The samurai and tracker have pretty small engines, 1.3 and 1.6 liter respectively. To get them up to highway speeds, they need to be pushed pretty hard.

Also the tracker has about 260k on the odometer, and the jeep is starting to rack up some high miles as well. Haven't noticed any major loss of compression or major oil loss, but these are getting up there in age/miles.

With these factors in mind, is 5w-30 or 5w-30/10w-30 still recommended?

And I hear ya Chris142, my wife says I hoard oil and other car stuff. I swear though, I'll find a use for it sometime!

Last edited:
Simple thing is to do a 5w-30 year round in Ohio. But could you just use one brand?....LOL

If I stayed in TX, I'd use a 10w-30 year round.

If you are having a hard time going to just one oil, do what BLND1 says.

(Personally, I have a hard time staying with one oil. I have 3 in my stock now)

Run a 5w-30 synthetic year round and you'll be fine. I run 0w-20 year round in my vehicles in the ATL and I have not seen any increase in wear metals via Blackstone oil analysis.

Last edited:
5w30 synthetic, what ever is on sale.
Having said that, with 5 quart jugs going so cheap, keeping a few different viscosities on hand is certainly reasonable.

Originally Posted by Chris142
You can't. You will always find some weird viscosity of oil so cheap that you will buy it with no idea what to use it in.

True.

If I had to buy just one grade for the OP's fleet, I would be choosing 5W-30 for year round.

You can't. You will always find some weird viscosity of oil so cheap that you will buy it with no idea what to use it in.

I get this. The struggle is real.

I agree, a high quality 5w30 should hold down the whole fort, even the Samurai and Tracker. Can you imagine; a single grade oil stock?
crazy2.gif

And
welcome2.gif

Right!...‚

Another vote for 5w30 yes round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino

I get this. The struggle is real.

GF6/SP is coming in May, no need to stock up before then (YMMV).

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
10w30 in Texas.

Right...so use up the 10w30 while in Bliss, then

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd use a synthetic 5W30 in all of them all year.

This, and your Mom's car depends on what it is.

As for the higher mileage, if they're not leaking drive on. If they are leaking then maybe go to a HM oil.

lol.gif

5w-30 for your fleet. Both my 4Runner (258k miles) and F150 (255k) miles are using 5w-30. The F150 was originally spec'd for 10w-30 but later back spec'd to 5w-30. No problems or oil usage (although I consider them mechanically sound)

Originally Posted by MoPowa

Also the tracker has about 260k on the odometer, and the jeep is starting to rack up some high miles as well. Haven't noticed any major loss of compression or major oil loss, but these are getting up there in age/miles.

Have to say I'm impressed you have that Tracker still on the road! 👠Wasn't aware that they could rack up that many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back