Those with 150,000 miles or more, check in

Originally Posted by raylit20
306K Miles on my 99' Toyota Avalon - 7.5K OCI & run full synthetic.
My brother has ~340k on a '95 Avalon, which still runs well with no engine repairs I know of yet (other than timing belt jobs). He had an '85 Jetta with nearly as many when he gave up on repairing the shift linkage. The engine was still good, despite running with low oil pressure for years in its youth before VW finally replaced the defective oil pump.

99 Windstar, 3.8L V6 with 320k miles.

Second owner, bought it with 75k on the odometer. I know it's the original engine since I know the first owner. I mostly used Pennzoil or Quaker State conventional, though I did use Valvoline on occasion. Almost always a cheap Fram filter. Always 10w30.

The inside of the engine looked very clean when looking through the oil fill hole on the valve cover. The aluminium casting and rockers had a nice yellow tint, no signs of sludge. Oil was changed every 5,000 miles, but I did let it go to 10,000 on occasion. Engine was compression tested at 280k miles while diagnosing a misfire. All cylinders showed around 150 PSI. Engine did not consume oil until it hit about 275k, then it started to slowly but steadily increase to 4qts between each oil change at 320k.

The engine ran great right up until the van was scrapped. It did have a rattle coming from the timing cover after it hit 300k miles. The van was scrapped after the transmission lost overdrive. Only major repairs to the engine was a water pump change and valve cover/intake gaskets. The engine never leaked a drop of oil.

Last edited:
2005 Chevy 5.3 just rolled over 210,000 miles. VWB most of it's life but currently Valvoline Maxlife 10w30. Still runs great.

2008 Hyundai Accent h/back automatic. 302,000km or 187,000 miles . Uses about 1/4 quart of oil every 8000 km. Same engine and transmission. Using Pennzoil Platinum long life 5w20 . Also changed out transmission oil and put in Valvoline maxlife full synthetic.

2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3L 203000 miles. Currently running Shell Rotella 5W-30 Gas Truck oil purchased at TSC for $21.99 a jug.

This thread is what some love on BITOG....buying a new/used car and putting mega miles on it. The Pinnacle of automotive excellence........

Personally-we have (many) very isolated roads like this in "The West"-

[Linked Image]

So-I won't be joining this club.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
This thread is what some love on BITOG....buying a new/used car and putting mega miles on it. The Pinnacle of automotive excellence........

[Linked Image]

Why not? With roads like that--you should be able to quickly catch up!

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN

[Linked Image]

Why not? With roads like that--you should be able to quickly catch up!

LOL. No kidding.

Out west here. No problems running my truck up around 250k or even 300k.

2002 Honda Odyssey - bought new - currently at 206k miles. For the first 120k miles - dealer service OCI every 7500 miles with Honda filter and bulk 5W-20 oil. After that Mobil1 Synthetic oil 5W-20 for about 30k miles - developed a oil leak -- switched back to conventional dino oil Pennzoil HM/Castrol GTX - whatever on sale from 150k onwards till now with Fram/Mobil1 filter every 5000 miles. Drives well. Tramsmission was replaced at 96k under warranty.

2004 Toyota Camry 3.3L V6 - bought used at 110k miles -- currently at 174k miles - previous owner used Mobil1 5W-30 every 5000 miles. I have kept up with same schedule - different synthetic oils - Mobil1/Castrol Magnatec/Pennzoil Platinum/PP Ultra - with Purolator/Mobil1/Fram TG filter. Runs very well, problem free.

Up to 164,000 now, just put new Michelin X Tour AS tires on it.

`06 Honda Odyssey EXL, Mostly hard short trip miles.

OCI 4000-8000

Anything from 0w-20, 5w-20 and 5w-30 mostly synthetics ranging from Napa, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil, Redline (1x), Mobil 1. Ran the best/quietest on Amsoil SS 0w-20. Recorded highest fuel mileage ever with Redline (27mpg highway)

Under the valve cover through the fill hole does not look good. Deposits and varnish. This is the VCM motor and lots of short trips.

Currently running Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 Syn.

1st/last/only valve adjustment planned for this Summer.

zfast
Putting new Michelins on ain't cheap. Sounds like you have plans for 200+k. Some varnish and deposits you can live with. I would get her cleaned-up a little, under those valve covers.

My current daily driver, 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI - 170k. Mobil 1 it's entire life. Regular version up to about 80k then High Mileage version which is still being used today. Oil filters ranged from Wix, Delco, a few Fram and regular Champs off Rockauto.

Wife's daily driver 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6. 117k miles. Mobil 1 since new switched to M1 High mileage somewhere around 80k and still on it today. Wix filters always used - buy bulk on rockauto.

2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L - 180k. Mobil 1 since new, M1 high mileage around the 80k mile mark. Bosch, Denso or Wix filters used. Stopped using AC Delco filters when I had 2 fail.

See a pattern here? LOL!

Originally Posted by 4WD
You have the original timing chains in the 3.6L ?

Of course not lol! They were done under warranty at 48k miles.

2005 chevy trailblazer 4.2 260,000 miles,bought as a program car in 06 with about 12,000 miles on it, ran mobil 1 5-30 for about 100,000 miles then switched to napa 5-30 synthetic napa gold filter, all I have done to it is alternater, clutch fan and water pump,and front diff seals,still take a 500 mile trip in it once a month runs great uses about a half a quart between 5,000 mile oil changes.

2009 Ford Focus Se Coupe 5 speed.

My parents bought this car in 2010 with 20k miles and drove it until I got it in 2018 at 130k miles. My dad changed the oil himself for the majority of that time with whatever was on sale, mostly Chevron Supreme at 5k mile intervals. When he changed the valve cover gasket a few years ago due to it leaking into the spark plug holes, it looked very clean inside! Now if you look through the fill hole, it still looks very clean. I still use whatever I find cheap at 5k mile intervals.

It now has right at 169k miles and has been an excellent car.

It does not leak or use oil. I replaced the clutch about a year ago because the throw out bearing was making noise. Since I was there I replaced the clutch. It still had plenty of material left. It got new struts and lower control arms at that time too. It's never had an actual problem besides things that wear out. Even the rear brake shoes are original. Everything in the interior works as intended. AC works great, heat works great, power windows, door locks, and mirrors too. I plan to drive it till it won't drive anymore!

1995 Mercedes S124 E250 D manual 5 speed with 300 000 miles.

Oil change every 6K miles with conventionnal 15W-40 or 10W-40 since new and still 0 oil consumption between oil changes and 0 sludge in the engine. Other than oil changes it only had a new water pump, glowplugs, brake rotors and pads a few times and rear SLS hydraulic struts replaced once as well as one weel bearing and one windshield ([censored] rocks)

Everything else is original including the clutch. Still drives perfectly but they're a play in the steering box and the injectors are probably worn as is makes white smoke when starting the car after sitting for a few days.

It was our familly car and never been garaged and rarely washed until i had my driving licence.

Last edited:
Focus ZTS sedan with 5 speed manual and the 2.0 Zetec engine:

Delivered new in June 2002.

Current miles: ~297,000

Installed a Cosworth USA "PowerWorks" intercooler/aftercooled supercharger package in 2006 @ 99,000 miles. So, nearly 200,000 miles with the supercharger.

It's had a mixture of M1 0w-20 and 5w-20 (regular and high mileage); Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend (when I was still taking it for dealer changes); Valvoline Synthetic 5w-20 & Valvoline Synthetic HM; Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 (once or twice); Amsoil 5w-20 (one time); and Supertech 5w-20.

Also, I've dumped lots of "extra oil" blends of various oils—10w-30s, 15w-40 conventional, 0w-20 HMs—left over from other car oil changes. I've added LiquiMoly to my oils over the years, following a 5,000 mile OCI fairly religiously. However, as I get up there in miles, I find myself edging toward a lower (4,000 mile) OCI.

However, I've done research on here and in doing so started using SuperTech 5w-20 full syn HM with either an ST filter or the Motorcraft FL-400s; for my next change I chose an Ecogard filter simply because weirdly Walmart online had neither of the former.

I have changed the valve cover gaskets numerous times as part of regular service, and also replaced a dented oil pan so got a good, hard look at the top and bottom end. No sludge, no slime, no gunk, no dark matter, no silvery flecks.

The transmission has gotten regular 30,000 mile changes of the Motorcraft XT-QS fully synthetic "Ford Honey" , with Redline MT-75 and GM MT fluid changes in there.

Back