What the highest sustained winds you have driven in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure. Next time on the freeway I'll lick my finger and stick it out the window and guess. Probably 70-75 mph wind?

I can't remember exactly, but the wind caused me to make unexpected lane changes in my '84 Corolla. It was quite a bit of fun trying the get the thing between the lines. The only things on the freeway that were going the speed limit were heavy pickups, poor truckers were 25-30 mph, felt bad for them.

Was riding my 550 Yamaha Seca directly west into at least a 60 mph hour Chinook wind, so with my road speed it was like a 120 mph wind. I turned it around and headed east. It was dead calm on my bike at 60 mph. Very strange feeling.

Last edited:
50-55 mph winds...driving a 99 accord , was pushing the car sideways at times but doing better than some of the others out there

Driving my Kombi down the west coast, the steering wheel spokes were at 12 and 6 o'clock all the way.

I believe it was about 45-50 mph consistently from NY to NC on our way to FL. We stopped overnight in NC and I was white knuckled & exhausted.

2 weeks later on the return trip, we drove 10 hours(should have taken 8) in a torrential downpour of rain into SC and again spent the night.

Sustained, pfft..who knows. But driving across a bridge in the Columbia River Gorge near where i live on a stormy/windy day, you can easily see hurricane force gusts - that'll push the car for sure.. and that's why it's a hot spot for wind surfing. The Gorge acts like a funnel between low pressure systems moving on shore and high pressure systems already in place on the east side of the Cascades. I've personally experienced gusts that challenge your balance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Sustained, pfft..who knows. But driving across a bridge in the Columbia River Gorge near where i live on a stormy/windy day, you can easily see hurricane force gusts - that'll push the car for sure.. and that's why it's a hot spot for wind surfing.

That can be a real bear to drive. I've been there. Bridge of The Gods and driving the 84 when it was gusty. Add some ice on the road and it's treacherous.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Sustained, pfft..who knows. But driving across a bridge in the Columbia River Gorge near where i live on a stormy/windy day, you can easily see hurricane force gusts - that'll push the car for sure.. and that's why it's a hot spot for wind surfing.

That can be a real bear to drive. I've been there. Bridge of The Gods and driving the 84 when it was gusty. Add some ice on the road and it's treacherous.

Truth...I won't even bother with 84 if there's a snow/ice event. I'll just delay my trip, I've got family in Pendleton I visit. To be blunt, it's too [censored] scary. The Washington side (I-14) is even worse with it's twisty turns. You gotta be off your rocker to drive that during a snow/ice event. Going east on that road, you've got +1k ft drop offs at points with nothing but a flimsy guardrail between you and the valley floor. There are parts like that on 84 coming west. Not uncommon to see rigs and cars slide into the guardrails in the winter there. Talk about a rodeo..Yee haw! ...‚

Originally Posted by PimTac

Truth...I won't even bother with 84 if there's a snow/ice event. I'll just delay my trip, I've got family in Pendleton I visit. To be blunt, it's too [censored] scary. The Washington side (I-14) is even worse with it's twisty turns. You gotta be off your rocker to drive that during a snow/ice event. Going east on that road, you've got +1k ft drop offs at points with nothing but a flimsy guardrail between you and the valley floor. There are parts like that on 84 coming west. Not uncommon to see rigs and cars slide into the guardrails in the winter there. Talk about a rodeo..Yee haw! ...‚

I wouldn't drive it either if it was icy. Another bad spot is Deadman's Pass between Pendleton and LaGrande. It doesn't have to be windy either.

I probably have a record for wind on a motorcycle. I rode my dirt bike during hurricane Jeanne. Sustained winds were 80. Gusts higher. I was leaned over what seemed like 45 degrees. Spark plug boot area filled with water and it kept flaming out. While I made it, it was darn near impossible to do. I was all over the place.

Trees were down everywhere and I had to get to my elderly father.

I'm with Cujet, in early Feb this year I got hit with a 124MPH gust while riding in NM. Had just gone through an underpass when it hit me. Slammed me into a curb, broke 3 ribs and broke my shoulder. There is a weather recording station at that point is the only reason I knew the exact speed of the gust. First time I'd been down in 40yr and I don't bounce as well as I once did. A steady wind is bad but gusts will bust your behind.
Love tail winds, riding or flying.

Smoky

Well bfh I had a 70 Z28 going 155 mph so that would be straight on wind. I have driven my pos f350 work truck in 80 mph exactly side wind on a call out once and 50-60 mph quite often.

As far as wind gusts don't know all I know is I out ran a tornado on interstate. To close as overhead sign fell on car. To bad the vehicle (76 Nova) was to slow as it was a straight 6. Fastest in car on streets was flashing 212 on long Texas road.

Central Washington is mostly desert. I have been pulling the trailer through there in 30 to 55mph winds.
Slows the whole process down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back