Any harm in using 0w20 in a Kia that specifies 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am too curious why going from 5w to 0w. The 5w should have lower Noack, better for the GDI system.

Originally Posted by painfx
I am too curious why going from 5w to 0w. The 5w should have lower Noack, better for the GDI system.

Likely not because 0W20's tend to be blended with a better basestock they generally have a lower NOACK.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
It may hurt. Hyundai generally likes thicker oils like 5W-40. So they try to avoid any 0W-x oils in their recommended list. I think 0W-40 can be a reasonable choice for cold climates.

So how does that make sense exactly?

What is so difficult to understand? Hyundai is not happy with thin oils and this is why they don't recommend them. Personally, I wouldn't use even a recommended 5W-20 in this car. I suggested that a 0W-40 oil may provide sufficient protection and can be used in cold climates. Does it make sense now?

What is so difficult to understand? Hyundai is not happy with thin oils and this is why they don't recommend them. Personally, I wouldn't use even a recommended 5W-20 in this car. I suggested that a 0W-40 oil may provide sufficient protection and can be used in cold climates. Does it make sense now?

Not really when you say "0W-40 may provide sufficient protection."

It may hurt. Hyundai generally likes thicker oils like 5W-40. So they try to avoid any 0W-x oils in their recommended list. I think 0W-40 can be a reasonable choice for cold climates.

Not happy with thin oils but the manual and the cap both say 5w20...

1. Your Russian brutality doesn't work on me. It is difficult to understand since what you're talking about makes no sense. Kia/Hyundai never recommended xw-40 oils in non-turbo GDIs, only 5w20 with 5w30 allowed
2. I've seen numerous videos on Russian youtube where local mechanics say smth like "put 40 weight oils in these engines to avoid engine failure", I'm not sure if that is a good idea really since I don't remember any proven case of Kia engine failure due to the usage of 20 weight oil

Last edited:
Last edited:
*I believe the main reason why Hyundai / Kia do not list a 0Wxx oil is that usually would mean a synthetic oil would have to be used and that would increase cost of ownership which Hyundai / Kia do not want to imply . Therefore , they stick with 5Wxx or 10Wxx which are available in non - synthetic oil (conventional) formulas which are less expensive reducing cost of ownership .
Originally Posted by Whammo
Originally Posted by Loobit
Absolutely not. You want an 0w-xx oil for those temperatures. If I lived in that kind of climate with my current vehicles that use 5w-30, I'd go look for 0w-30. It will always be better for cold starts.

Do you have any conjecture as to why they wouldn't list that weight in the manual for those temps?

Originally Posted by turnbowm
Kia's Warranty Policy states that use of an oil viscosity other than that specified in the Owners Manual will void the warranty (item 3 on page 5)

http://admin.i-motor.com.au/ssl/CMS/files_cms/Kia-WarrantyPolicyStatements.pdf

What it says is:
Improper maintenance or the use of other than the specified oil or lubricants as recommended in your Owner's Manual

Which is a bit different than " use of an oil viscosity other than that specified in the Owners Manual will void the warranty." Besides, both are 20 grade oils. One is not a different viscosity than the other. Seems like some fear mongering going on here.

The file you link is from an Australian website, is this unmarked document applicable to US models?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Kia's Warranty Policy states that use of an oil viscosity other than that specified in the Owners Manual will void the warranty (item 3 on page 5)

http://admin.i-motor.com.au/ssl/CMS/files_cms/Kia-WarrantyPolicyStatements.pdf

What it says is:
Improper maintenance or the use of other than the specified oil or lubricants as recommended in your Owner's Manual

Which is a bit different than " use of an oil viscosity other than that specified in the Owners Manual will void the warranty." Besides, both are 20 grade oils. One is not a different viscosity than the other. Seems like some fear mongering going on here.

The file you link is from an Australian website, is this unmarked document applicable to US models?

Herewith is a better (U.S.) link....

"Damage due to Lack of Maintenance or the Use of
Wrong Fuel, Oil or Lubricants.
• Improper maintenance or the use of other than the
specified fuel, oil or lubricants recommended in
your Owner's Manual. It is your obligation to ensure
that you obtain all fuels, oils and lubricants from
reliable vendors using quality products which meet
the Kia specifications identified in your Owner's
Manual."

https://www.kia.com/us/content/dam/...anty-and-consumer-info/2020_warranty.pdf

So what does the owner's manual specify, and what does it recommend?

The Owner's Manual recommends a viscosity of 5W20, 5W30 or 10W30 (API SM). It also states the following:

Using oils of any viscosity other than
those recommended could result in
engine damage.

*Mobil used to state on it's 0W20 / 0W30 AFE series " Suitable for all 5W20 / 5W30 applications" - Mobil pulled that wording off their containers now (must have been some issues ?)

The Owner's Manual recommends a viscosity of 5W20, 5W30 or 10W30 (API SM). It also states the following:

engine damage.

Which is correct of course. But in this case, the grade is the same between a 5W-20 and a 0W-20.

Also, would anyone on here try and make a cogent technical argument that a heavier viscosity will result in engine damage?

engine damage.

A 0w20/30 will provide better protection during cold starts so how it could possibly result in engine damage is beyond me. At temp they are the same as 5w20/30.

Last edited:
Thinner oils do not provide better protection during cold starts, they just make it easier to start. MOFT is what provides protection and that is more than sufficient with any oil at cold temperatures.

The only time a lower winter rating provides better protection is when it is so cold the oil will not flow to the pump pickup tube and starves the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back