Garden Sprayer- any Fluid retention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a while ago about using a garden sprayer to pump your fluids I think it's a great idea. I typically do a cold drain and fill on sealed trans units, so I always measure it. My question is; the black tube in the sprayer(pump), does it retain any Fluid or does it all get pumped out? I only ask as I don't want to underfill.or is there no fluid inside there at all? Obviously I don't fully understand how they work ...

I was hoping someone here has used this method and has some insight. The garden sprayer is enticing option because pumping by hand gets old!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't think a garden sprayer can handle viscous fluids.

i had an old one that i converted to pump ATF. all i did was cut off the tip. refiling the 330I trans was such a pain with the hand pump since the fill hole was up there

I have a 1 gallon for gear oil and a 2.5 gallon for ATF.

It pumps just fine.

OP, the pressure in the bottle will get 99% of the oil up out of the pickup tube. Gravity will take care of the rest of the tubing outside the bottle.

I use a 1.5 gallon garden sprayer for VTM-4 and ATF. Air pressure does a good job of clearing what's in the hose. Of course there's always a minimal amount left in the bottom. It's little enough I wipe it out instead of waiting for it to drip out.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I have a 1 gallon for gear oil and a 2.5 gallon for ATF.

It pumps just fine.

OP, the pressure in the bottle will get 99% of the oil up out of the pickup tube. Gravity will take care of the rest of the tubing outside the bottle.

I also have a 1 gal. for gear oil and a 2 gal. for ATF. I bought them on discount at the end of the summer. I removed the wand and attached a barbed ball valve so I can control the fluid. They work fantastic. I can't imagine going back to any of the other "popular" methods to pump fluids into transmissions or diffs.

Some fluid will stay in the hose, and even an ounce or so in the tank. I always put more than needed in the tank. For example, if the tranny calls for 7 1/2 quarts, I'll fill the tank with 8 quarts. Most transmissions I've worked with are designed to be filled to overflow. You fill it until fluid starts running out of the fill hole. So it isn't necessary to have the exact amount in the tank. In fact, it's helpful to have some extra.

Originally Posted by panthermike
Thanks guys, I'll be doing a bunch of fluid changes coming up and am eager to try this out.

You won't be disappointed. Using a modified garden sprayer is so much nicer. It makes the pumps that screw onto a quart bottle seem like little amateurish toys.

I'll definitely be trying the garden sprayer oil shooter for my next Pathfinder transfer case gear oil change. Filling it from above IV style is a pain.

Got around to getting the pieces that I needed. I just clipped off the sprayer and attached the clear tubing and clamp from the Attwood pump with the Yamaha adapter to the sprayer hose(For the Armada's 7-speed trans) This set-up cost $19.50 plus tax. Very pleased with it now just have to see how it works!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's sweet panthermike!! Per the Nissan factory service manual for our 2015 Nissan Versa, even the last version of the ancient 4spd auto (2014-2017 model years only) is supposed to be filled through the drain/level check plug with that same type of tool. Luckily there is a "charge tube" up top with one of those locking caps on it that you can get to on it that the FSM makes zero mention of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
That's sweet panthermike!! Per the Nissan factory service manual for our 2015 Nissan Versa, even the last version of the ancient 4spd auto (2014-2017 model years only) is supposed to be filled through the drain/level check plug with that same type of tool. Luckily there is a "charge tube" up top with one of those locking caps on it that you can get to on it that the FSM makes zero mention of.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the design but hoping this setup makes the job much easier
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back