New garbage disposal unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of a new garbage disposal unit. Didn't realize when I bought my last one that it had a plastic housing, which did not last too long. Can't seem to find one with a metal housing. Does anyone make one anymore?

For most houses the $99 Badger units from Home Depot and Lowes are fine. The outside is always plastic but the basket where the grinding takes place is metal.

You might upgrade to the stainless steel one for ~140 in hopes it lasts longer. My basic model lasted about 10 years. I can complain about $10/year and I used it several times a week.

Last edited:
I replaced my Whirlpool disposal last year. It had a good run since it appeared to be the original one that came with the house. Replaced it with the exact same one off Amazon for a good price (made in the USA to boot!).

Put in this Insinkerator last year. It's like a Mercedes V12, so smooth and nearly silent. Probably the nicest appliance in the house.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by mclasser
I replaced my Whirlpool disposal last year. It had a good run since it appeared to be the original one that came with the house. Replaced it with the exact same one off Amazon for a good price (made in the USA to boot!).

Any Insinkerator made units seem to have a decent run life. I believe that is who makes the Whirlpool and Kitchen aid garbage disposals.

Ones that I would recommend are ones made by Insinkerator ( Badger, Evergrind, Whirlpool/kitchenaid, and Insinkerator ). Insinkerator still makes nearly all of their models in Wisconsin with about 80% domestic content. Nearly all others seem to be rebrands from Anaheim manufacturing (Waste King, GE, Fridgiaire, Barracuda, Moen, new Kenmores, and many other generic no name brands). Those all come from China and had a previous recall for ejecting metal objects out of them.

We had 2 Badgers and they just didn't grind the food up small enough. It always clogged our drain. Went up to the Evolution 3/4hp model and never had a problem since. We use to go through a ton of squash, potato, eggplant peelings and would run them down the disposal, but now that we have chickens not much goes down it. LOL

Originally Posted by Rat407
We had 2 Badgers and they just didn't grind the food up small enough. It always clogged our drain. Went up to the Evolution 3/4hp model and never had a problem since. We use to go through a ton of squash, potato, eggplant peelings and would run them down the disposal, but now that we have chickens not much goes down it. LOL

& you got the eggs; win-win situation now /

The Evolution models are hard to beat. They are very quiet, and don't shake the whole sink like some disposals. And they perform quite well. I believe the grinding chamber is all stainless.

Wound up getting the Insinkerator 5XP 3/4 HP. New Ace Plus Hardware store opened in town yesterday. It was marked $129, but Ace Hardware had it listed for $99 online. The store matched the online ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back