Motorcrat Blend VS Supertech Full Synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil in three Ford Panthers and one '06 V8 Explorer twice per year. None go over 5K in that year. One 2006 Lincoln TC Designer (Garage Queen) stays in the hundreds, so I sometimes let that one go a full year. ALWAYS use Motorcraft 5W20 Blend from Walmart for all of them with the Motorcraft filter. On the last purchase I noticed the Supertech full synth was actually a little cheaper, so I'm kicking around switching. The highest mileage vehicle is still under 150K. Would it be best to stick with the Motorcraft blend? Worried the full synthetic may break loose deposits, or some other issue. But, if that's actually a better oil, and cheaper, why not?

I (have to) use MC 5W20 synblend in the company Transit 250 in my sig, and with the noise & oil burning issues it has using it, I would think almost any 5W20 would likely be better, especially a good synthetic one like ST.
welcome2.gif

At your annual mileage you're not going to realize much, if any, benefit to running a full synthetic v. a syn blend. If however you want to make your purchasing decision on price alone, then buy the SuperTech since it's cheaper. It's a win win..

With as low as miles you put on those vehicles, I'd put the odds of some sludge breaking free or leak springing at really low. Nobody can guarantee nothing will happen switching over to a full syn but you've maintained the cars very well so I'd be surprised if it did. I myself routinely go back and forth between a full syn and blend without issue.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

If the OP is worried that the ST full synthetic would break loose deposits causing a Seal to leak (OP does not actually say that),
then wouldn't the seal have been leaking if he was using a synthetic oil all along ?

Maybe this is where one would start to think about High-Mileage Oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
welcome2.gif

If the OP is worried that the ST full synthetic would break loose deposits causing a Seal to leak (OP does not actually say that),
then wouldn't the seal have been leaking if he was using a synthetic oil all along ?

Maybe this is where one would start to think about High-Mileage Oils.

He doesn't mention "leak" specifically but he does say, "or some other issue" which is sort of a catch-all for anything else that could arise. That said, the answer to your first question is - not necessarily and as to your second question, it wouldn't hurt anything and might even help keep the cars leak free... since HiMi's with their higher amounts of SCA's are more effective BEFORE there's a problem, not after.

Originally Posted by Ornery
I change the oil in three Ford Panthers and one '06 V8 Explorer twice per year. None go over 5K in that year

These engines are very tough - near indestructible.

Honestly?
.... Just run the cheapest API-SN rated oil you can find anywhere

The only benefit you will see from expensive oils is a lighter wallet.

You can go with Supertech FS HM 3 pack for $13.66 each. no rebate required.

Its good oil that performed well against Project Farms tests on youtube against REDLINE. Not saying its in the same class as redline but it did not embarrass itself against a premium oil.

I'd run it without questions if I couldnt get brand name oil for less price on clearance or withrebate. I target > $12 / 5 qt jug.

I just jumped on the Rotella Gas Truck (its fine for cars too) deal at amazon of $17 with a $10 rebate. $7 each. You could look at that an stash up as well.

Rebate is good for (4) 5 qt jugs. or $40 total. With three cars, you should be able to go through that in less than 1 year.

Last edited:
Well, thank you so much for all the replies. This is my go to resource for oil related issues, but the first time I've had to ask about something I was unable to find as a lurker.

Been driving and maintaining my own vehicles since 1973. One bit of advice that sticks in my mind, is to stay with one brand of oil. That advice may be very dated, but old habits die hard. I like using the MC Blend, because that's what these cars were broke in on, and it's readily available at Walmart for a good price. Saving a few bucks is a nice plus, but I have a nagging suspicion I'm actually missing out on a better oil for the sake of staying consistent. It's the additives that cause the concern, much more than the difference in wear. Seems these additives can make a BIG difference, and I'd like to know for sure it's positive.

What has royal purple done to my engine?

Not saying I expect Supertech to perform like Royal Purple, but what should I expect either way? If there are any negatives, I'll forget the whole thing and stay with Motorcraft.

Thanks again for all the input!

Originally Posted by PimTac
The reality is that with SN+ oil additive packages are pretty close to being the same.

Exactly 🎯..OP - What's MORE important..is changing your oil on time and regularly and it sounds like you're doing that already. There's no "bad" choice here as both are good lubes... just boils down to which one gives you the warm and fuzzies.

Originally Posted by Ornery
Well, thank you so much for all the replies. This is my go to resource for oil related issues, but the first time I've had to ask about something I was unable to find as a lurker.

Been driving and maintaining my own vehicles since 1973. One bit of advice that sticks in my mind, is to stay with one brand of oil. That advice may be very dated, but old habits die hard. I like using the MC Blend, because that's what these cars were broke in on, and it's readily available at Walmart for a good price. Saving a few bucks is a nice plus, but I have a nagging suspicion I'm actually missing out on a better oil for the sake of staying consistent. It's the additives that cause the concern, much more than the difference in wear. Seems these additives can make a BIG difference, and I'd like to know for sure it's positive.

What has royal purple done to my engine?

Not saying I expect Supertech to perform like Royal Purple, but what should I expect either way? If there are any negatives, I'll forget the whole thing and stay with Motorcraft.

Thanks again for all the input!

If the Ford's were new in Canada it would receive a different motor oil. Thus just buy on spec and price. STHM 0W20 is an excellent oil from experience.

Originally Posted by Audios
Either way youll be fine, whichever is cheaper would work, IMO

Agreed, but, I used Motorcraft in my Ford's for several years because "it's was Ford used". I never really liked the Motorcraft so I went with Mobil1. That oils was better, but, went with SuperTech syn and never looking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back