Frothy oil from 2008 Nissan Frontier 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 with 122k miles

This oil was Valvoline 10w-30 synthetic High Mileage oil with right at 5000 miles and Fram Ultra guard filter.

I let it run about five minutes before changing. Oil looked like it had a brown froth on top. I collected a sample for Blackstone labs

9F4BCF03-0312-4D83-8A8E-69DDABECDF8F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by MadAmos
I cant see the pan very well but what I can see looks like water in the oil.

Yeah, on first glance, I didn't pay attention to the pan in the background.

You're right - that is a lot of froth. Far more than I've ever seen when I've drained some oil out of a vehicle.

OP probably did the right thing sending a sample to the lab.

I bet its from draining the oil somewhat cold, seen it on my own cars but not quite to that extent.

Last edited:
Is that the age of truck where Nissan had the transmission cooler running through the radiator and a LOT ruptured. Is there an engine oil cooler circuit through there as well? Otherwise just short tripped oil that builds up condensation and never get hot enough to burn off the emulsion.

Thanks for the replies

Probably driven less than ten miles per day during the week... More on weekends

I did the transmission lines bypass from the radiator years ago and coolant level is at full.

Oil was pretty cold when drained.

I drive much less than that on most days. I e never seen the oil look like that.

Does the engine heat up normally?

Pim. It did today as I took it for a short drive after the oil change

Also, the oil fill cap and radiator caps were clean.

Last edited:
Okay. I was thinking maybe the thermostat was wonky. That seems to be a lot of moisture showing in that oil. Maybe something is loose that allows moisture in?

PCV?

"milkshake" oil is a tell tale sign of a coolant leak (HG maybe). Open up the radiator and see what it looks like. Does it smell like fuel or just run of the mill oil smell?

"Milkshake" oil from HG leak 👇
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Other than the froth on top, it looked like dirty motor oil. The radiator was full and the caps were clean.

How much oil did you pull out? Was it overfilled? All oil has a de- foaming agent but if you overfilled the crankcase it could be getting frothed up/agitated too much for the chemistry to work.

I think you have the right idea to get it checked for the presence coolant/water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Usually drain for 15-20 minutes and most changes, 5 quarts puts it on the full mark.

Are you filling on a level surface and do you check it the next morning on a level surface cold? What is the engine spec'd for? Are you confident this is not overfill?

The 4.0L takes 5.4 qts. Usually 5.5 puts it exactly at the full mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back