Magnet IN crankcase for break-in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Predator generator with the 212cc Hemi engine. Also I bought two spare Hemi engines just because they were so cheap and who knows when the trade war with China will see these sort of things go way up in price. They already have gone up a bit.
Anyway, none of the three 212cc Hemi engines have even had oil in them yet. I'm gonna break them in and was thinking about adding a small neodymium magnet INSIDE the crankcase to catch metal pieces. Does anyone know of a good way to secure a magnet so it doesn't get up close and personal with the connecting rod? Is this even a good idea?
Anyone, please offer tips for breaking in these engines. What's a good oil for break-in? I plan on throwing out the break-in oil and replacing it with Redline 0w-40 in the generator for standby.
Any generator tips will be appreciated. Mine is the 4000w/3200w Predator.

You know(?) most of the wear particles aren't even magnetic....and by the time the ones that are show up too much....magnets aren't going to do anything.

How poor quality are those engines if you have to be that afraid of actually just running them? Every non-Chinese engine that I've ever owned I just added oil and used it. Never had a single issue with any of them.

Warm the engine up good to suspend particles in the oil then drain.
Aluminum don`t care about magnets.

Last edited:
Have a Chinese engine on my 2017 Ariens snow blower.
Best small engine I had had so far on starting and performance.
Longevity?

I would be more worried about metallurgy (read: connecting rod fatigue over time) than I would be about little bits in the oil

Broke in the same engine on my Predator engine and changed the oil at 10 hours. No noticeable sparklies in the black catch pan when I changed it the first time. As was already mentioned, most of the sparkly stuff isn't magnetic anyway (aluminum, magnesium, lead from bearings, etc.). Been running great and still no sparkly stuff in the oil.

Does this motor have an oil filter? If so, it will filter the particulate....nothing to worry
about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Does this motor have an oil filter? If so, it will filter the particulate....nothing to worry
about.

My 212 does not have a filter.

Last edited:
Listen to Jim Fitch - put a magnet wherever you can get one securely

We sure did for these 2 new cat 12K's. put a bunch of hard drive magnets on them - super cheap- effective.

All kinds of ferrous material in engines. Iron filing typically aren't sparkly but dark colored.

From the honda 2000

UD

IMG_9507.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 3.19.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto
You know(?) most of the wear particles aren't even magnetic....and by the time the ones that are show up too much....magnets aren't going to do anything.

+1

You are overthinking it. It's a cheap Chinese copy of a Honda engine. Change the oil after break-in and run it with normal change intervals. People have run the Predators with no governor on go-karts and they still last. I've seen modified ones putting out 12-15hp using cheap SuperTech oil. With these engines you are more likely to have a failure from a poorly made part than something caused by lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back