What brand strut for 09 Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While under the car I saw the right rear looked wet while the left was bone dry. Car has 124K. Looking on RockAuto I can get Sensen (not familiar with that) for $23 with 30 day warranty, Monroe for $32 with no warranty, KYB Excel G for $43 with lifetime warranty, AC Delco Professional for $50 with lifetime warranty and GM OEM for $75 with lifetime warranty. Assume the Sensen is made in China for that price. I asked KYB where they are made and was told Japan or USA. Couldn't get an answer from AC Delco or GM where they are made. Any reason not to choose KYB?

I have used KYB shocks/struts on my vehicles for many years when they have needed replacement. I have always been satisfied with the performance and the life. Had an old Camry that I put KYB GR-2 on at 140k, sold the car at 215k and it still rode and handled perfectly. On my Chrysler 300 I put KYB GR-2 on at around 120k and now have 165k on them and it still rides as good as it did when I put them on. On both cars there was a huge difference in the ride and handling after installation. I have not had a single problem with them.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
if it was my car and I planned on keeping it awhile, I'd get KYB.

If it was my car and I planned on keep it for a while, I'd get OE from the dealer or maybe Bilstein. Definitely not KYB.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'm just glad no one has gotten on my case for only replacing one side. Oops, I probably shouldn't have brought that up.

I drove like that on my W-body for a while (its a long story...I had originally replaced all 4, but then had a catastrophic failure of another component in the middle of nowhere, Northern Montana, which forced me to source a worn out replacement strut from a junkyard simply to get home...), it wasn't the end of the world.

But do try and get the other side fixed. The strut is probably shot anyways, even if its not leaking oil visibly. $40 is what, a tank of petrol?

AC Delco Professional shocks and struts are reboxed Gabriel

Yes, KYB is Chinese. They are actually an OE supplier to Chinese-market European-nameplate cars such as Volvo and VW. Their aftermarket shocks are said to be a Chinese copy of KYB.

If you're not using quick struts, you should've gone with OE. Sachs makes quick struts for the front, but not the rear, of your car. So my choice would've been KYB quick struts for the rear.

I'm just glad no one has gotten on my case for only replacing one side. Oops, I probably shouldn't have brought that up.

OK, I'll do it
laugh.gif

Don't replace only one shock.
31.gif

Do at least pairs
smile.gif

Do you replace both headlight or all three tail light bulbs when only one burns out?

Yes, I do
smile.gif

The other bulb is on its way out, too. They have similar lifespans since they are the same bulb used the same amount of time. Every time I replaced only one bulb, the other one went out within a week or two. And bulbs are typically sold in pairs.

As far as shocks go, the only time it makes sense to replace only one is if it was damaged (for example, in a collision), and the shocks are otherwise fairly new.

Tires are another case where you usually want to replace at least in pairs, with some exceptions, such as a new or almost-new tire that gets damaged

And your struts have 124k on them. One will be brand new, and the other side will have 124k on it. That is a lot longer than most tires and light bulbs last

Do you replace both headlight or all three tail light bulbs when only one burns out?

Yes. It's just common sense.

You guys make parts stores and repair shops very happy.

Make myself happy too. Bulbs degrade over time, same as your shocks.

But do your thing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Bulbs degrade over time

Is that the line they give you at the parts store to get you to buy both bulbs? If it makes you happy, great, but either the bulb works, or it doesn't. No such thing as a a bulb degrading significantly, and certainly not to half or one quarter brightness. And yes, shocks do degrade, but the one I'm replacing is leaking and I wouldn't have known by the feel of it. Don't expect to notice a significant change after replacing either.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Bulbs degrade over time

Is that the line they give you at the parts store to get you to buy both bulbs? If it makes you happy, great, but either the bulb works, or it doesn't. No such thing as a a bulb degrading significantly, and certainly not to half or one quarter brightness.

I've replaced on one side an ancient OEM LL bulb with parts store bulb, and the difference was dramatic. One old yellow light and one bright white new light. No, I don't have the lumens output. But, I do know the scientific definition of "significant" and it's not 1/2 or 1/4. It just means it is measurable.

Well sure, newer bulbs are made brighter, doesn't mean your old bulb "degraded," just that it put out less light. So you're saying you didn't replace the other side then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back