Ph7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browsing amazon and came across the Fram Ph7317. But wait a second, why is it pictured as a black oil filter? Is Fram changing from the sure grip filters?

A1C21627-992C-45B2-8855-E50AAA9E7D03.jpeg

6F0A9D25-5580-46F7-B282-EB4F756A993F.jpeg

I think the black looks better.

Who knows what Trico will do. As for Amazon, don't believe everything you see.

Originally Posted by PimTac

What he said.

grin.gif

Certainly possible new owner Trico is moving from the orange can to pictured black. Hard for me to imagine Amazon pulled that PH7317 display can out of thin air. If so seem likes a lot of effort to distort.

A previous Amazon black can EG reference was made here recently.

I thought you could buy "jobber" frams in 12-packs that didn't have the grippy stuff. Maybe someone's splitting up these packs.

Personally never seen a black can Fram labeled jobber tier filter, sure grip or not. Have seen WM Fram Core jobber(use in TLE /ACC), but it's orange-ish and has a full can texture coat. And sometimes they are sold by the case, at least according to posts here.

I have also seen Fram motorcycle OF with a black can, no sure grip. But not in topic PH7317 which is number used for Fram automotive applications.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Maybe Black's where it's at.
laugh.gif

Sure makes it easier when you supply filters to a dozen different brands - - and they just slap whatever label on they need to add.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Personally never seen a black can Fram labeled jobber tier filter, sure grip or not. Have seen WM Fram Core jobber(use in TLE /ACC), but it's orange-ish and has a full can texture coat. And sometimes they are sold by the case, at least according to posts here.

I have also seen Fram motorcycle OF with a black can, no sure grip. But not in topic PH7317 which is number used for Fram automotive applications.

A couple of those old Walmart TLE cans were black. I don't remember which part numbers, but I definitely remember seeing at least one black TLE filter. It had the same textured grip as the orange TLE cans.

Thinking more and memory refreshed by google image search, the WM TLE Core filters were black/brown-ish at one point. Like current WM Core filters though, they were fully texture coated. Circa 2012 and they may have been all Champ Labs made as part of Farm Champ Alliance at that point. Many were ecores. They replaced the orange can Fram Pro line in the TLE.

However, since the topic filter has no texture, still can't be the same. Topic can looks most like Fram motorcycle filters.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I like the black, sharp looking can.

I don't feel the suregrip is THAT great of a feature.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Maybe Black's where it's at.
laugh.gif

Black is the new orange! Wait....

Personally, I never cared much for the sure grip.

I'm guessing the black is for applications where the user might not want an orange color showing. Ie Motorcycles, boats, atvs, machinery, etc

The 7317 fits Mercury applications for watercraft, trailwagon atvs, Caterpillar engines, and quite a bit of others. My guess is the black version is for these applications. Why? I dont know, user preference?

Plenty of brands out there have two or more of the same filter just painted differently. Orange would kinda stick out like a sore thumb on a motorcycle, although I dont think this filter has a motorcycle application, I'm sure theres a boat nut out there who doesn't want a bright orange can on his red and black mercury engine.

IIRC K&N has black as well as chrome HP filters (the ones with the rust nut) with the same application number as the white cans for motorcycle and watercraft engines.

Last edited:
The seam crimp isn't painted and is larger on the black one. Indicates different manufacturing. It may be made in Europe and be a totally different filter inside?
Maybe it's just the flash and photography on second look. Hard to tell.

Update: received the standard orange sure grip extra guard through amazon so I have no idea why they show the black version....oh well, I'll run the filter on my wife's Honda next oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back