Low-ash synthetics in a ‘Murican v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with plenty of RGT and QSUD 0w20 for the wife's cx-5, I was able to get some PP Euro LX 0w30, Pentosin Super Performance iii 5w30, and Pentosin High Performance ii 5w40 at the famous AZ clearance.

It appears these euro oils are all low ash (MB 229.51) synthetics, and I've read many differing opinions on this site about low ash & American gas don't work well together. Any truth to this?

Am trying to figure out if I can run a full crankcase of these oils (especially the PP LX) at a reasonable OCI (6-8k) or if I should just mix in a quart or two with something more gas-oriented.

Application is a 2008 4.7L Ram 1500 6spd with 375k (70k on motor) that gets the snot driven out of it. Not as concerned about oil grade as I've run everything from 0w20 to 5w40 (all syn) since new. Located in CA so no extreme temps to worry about except maybe in summer

Nothing wrong with using any of those oils in a modern gasoline engine. They are all SN rated with the exception of the 5w-40 which is SM, but either will work fine. I've run Mobil1 ESP in gas engines before and it worked just as well as any other.

I would use a Euro MB 229.51 oil in a regular gas (petrol) car without hesitation. Reasonable intervals like 6 - 7k miles would be fine.

The back of the LX bottle says gas and diesel, unlike the L 5w30 which is recommended for diesel and not gas. P.S. for the " diesel oil" in gas vehicles crowd, not interested in arguing.

633EF0AD-6FE8-45E7-BD0E-93643CCE3C0B.jpeg

E495DE78-4E16-4E32-ADFA-6FF77B95D401.jpeg

Last edited:
The gasoline in the USA is now "ultra low sulfur" - just like Europe.

You no longer need to worry about it.

In recent history (2007), gasoline sulfur levels in the USA have been limited to 10 PPM, which should cut down on the amount of acids formed during combustion (although an engine with a lot of blowby will still have issues), so I would say run it in a tight engine. Although UOAs are never a bad idea if you want to see how long it will last. Linctex was a faster typist than my hunt & peck method!

Last edited:
Both the Euro-L and the Euro-LX are rated API SN so no problems in a gas engine.

They are also rated ACEA C3 which is a good European mid-SAPS high-HTHS oil standard, first developed for light duty diesels, but now over here and in Europe too I believe, used in both diesel and gas (petrol) engines.

To be honest, I think a SN & C3 oil to be a great quality combination that almost anything can use, and a great all round top up oil. Start adding a few extra specs like SN-Plus (waiting for that), or Dexos2, MB 229.5, BMW LL-04, VW 504/507 etc and you should have a very high quality product for non-extended intervals (in a gas engine).

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Speaking of which, the Pennzoil 5w40 Euro is now SN Plus.
smile.gif

That is very good to know, thank you.

That should mean the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 I get over here should also be SN-Plus (or very soon).

I think the SHU / Pennzoil Euro 5W40 is an excellent oil. The SHU is on sale in Oz right now too, at half price (Link).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back