Refuse Lorry 1972 UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not a "refuse lorry". That is a "bin lorry". Or "dustbin lorry". Almost nobody over here says "refuse", "trash" or "garbage" (although most would know what it means if used in context). We'd say "rubbish", which is thrown away in a "rubbish bin" or "dustbin". The operatives of the bin lorry are "bin men".

Originally Posted by weasley
That is not a "refuse lorry". That is a "bin lorry". Or "dustbin lorry". Almost nobody over here says "refuse", "trash" or "garbage" (although most would know what it means if used in context). We'd say "rubbish", which is thrown away in a "rubbish bin" or "dustbin". The operatives of the bin lorry are "bin men".

Agreed.

I also wonder if you're allowed to put anything other than paper in an American "Waste Paper Basket" ?? I know the bin under my desk in work is full of crisp packets, sandwich wrappers etc.
lol.gif

Last edited:
What a great place to visit. I couldn't get over how the languages are the same but completely different. Here it's "to go." There it's a "take away." And so on. Band-aids are "plasters." Fascinating place.

The reporter mentions the word refuse but he confuses the compactor as a cutter.

Oh well, off for some bangers and mash.

Overhead crane??

Wow - that entire process has dozens of improvements possible.

Does Britain still incinerate?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Overhead crane??

I thought the same thing, that overhead crane was an inefficient way to move the trash. Burning the trash to generate power could make sense though, particularly where landfill space is not available.

The British overseas territory of Bermuda has a power plant that burns " rubbish". The emissions drift off over the Atlantic Ocean. I guess this is not so bad, because their main power plant burns diesel.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The reporter mentions the word refuse but he confuses the compactor as a cutter.

It's funny why they are called bangers. When they had rations, sausage makers would put large amounts of water in sausages to make weight. And these had a nasty habit of going "bang" when cooking in a skillet.

Is that due to a change in terms since 1972? Curious if that is the cause.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Originally Posted by Linctex
Overhead crane??

I thought the same thing, that overhead crane was an inefficient way to move the trash. Burning the trash to generate power could make sense though, particularly where landfill space is not available.

Same thing, going to guess it's changed since 1972.

Come to think of it, I recall seeing overhead cranes in a number of older movies; but haven't seen any recently.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

It's funny why they are called bangers. When they had rations, sausage makers would put large amounts of water in sausages to make weight. And these had a nasty habit of going "bang" when cooking in a skillet.

Very interesting!

I love bangers and mash, also bubble and squeak with a fried egg on top.

Originally Posted by supton

Is that due to a change in terms since 1972? Curious if that is the cause.

In a way it is a sign of the times. You may note that the reporter is speaking a certain way - what's known as "received pronunciation" or "the Queen's English" (or to many people, simply "posh"). Back then this was typical of broadcasters, who spoke in a way not necessarily representative of the populus. "Refuse" is the sort of word someone from the higher echelons of society might use, as is demonstrated here. The sort of person who may have talked about the "refuse" being put out for collection would probably have had someone do it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back