Treating Ethanol Free Gas?

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by wag123
It's the gas that gets old and goes bad, not the alcohol, so yes, treat the E0 gas. You should still buy only what you will use up in 6 months or less (best practice, even if treated) and you still need to run your machinery dry before storage.
Agreed, but Stabil 360 is supposed to maintain a positive vapor pressure and thus keep water vapor from entering the fuel tank. I have some Stabil 360 on hand and will dose up this 5 gallons prior to using it.
As long as there isn't alcohol in the gas, this is not a problem. The problem exists with gasohol (E10, E15, etc) because alcohol attracts and absorbs water from the air and will eventually cause phase separation, this is what Stabil 360 is supposed to minimize. Gasoline by itself (E0) does not absorb water so the higher priced Stabil 360 is not necessary in E0. Be advised that Stabil 360 does NOT prevent condensation from forming inside a partially full fuel tank or container. Condensation will eventually cause water to build-up in the bottom of the fuel tank or container, this is not the same as phase separation.

Originally Posted by jakewells
Originally Posted by tundraotto
^WORD

no bringing back stale gas.....with all the talk about water etc. it sounds like its mostly rubbing alcohol.

Check you're facts it contains no alcohol.
https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf

Where does it say no alcohol? Exactly WHERE in your link?
Also, get your language correct - it's 'your', not 'you're'. makes you sound like you don't have a clue.

Last edited:
Looks like it does what the other main players in the fuel stabilization/treatment market do. I've never seen the need for more than the original red Stabil over the winter in my lawn mower and motorcycles. However there are niche versions that are said to do better in specific applications that wouldn't mean anything for me in my environment (i.e., marine Stabil for use for a motorcycle in a garage in Colorado).

Anyone out there used the original red Stabil in water sports applications and not had satisfactory results? I'm just wondering how much different in function the newer formulas are. Or if it's created a niche that really didn't need to be created.

I understand that the newer versions (Marine, 360) are advertised to have different strengths, but has someone ever felt/been let down by the original Stabil and has demonstrative proof a newer one for a specific application is better?

^ I have been let down by STABIL original (replaced carbs and fuel lines in OPE), and STABIL blue a little less (1 carb).....non-ethanol gas AND stabilizer for me. Might be as good without the STABIL - but I have some left.

Originally Posted by jakewells
^WORD

no bringing back stale gas.....with all the talk about water etc. it sounds like its mostly rubbing alcohol.

Check you're facts it contains no alcohol.
https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf

Where does it say no alcohol? Exactly WHERE in your link?
Also, get your language correct - it's 'your', not 'you're'. makes you sound like you don't have a clue.

on the bottle
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
We are fortunate to have a major retailer like Wawa experimenting with Ethanol Free fuel here in PA. Wawa has over 600 gas stations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C. Thus far nine stations in PA have Ethanol free gas, according to https://www.pure-gas.org/. Looking at where these stations are located, it is pretty clear that they are targeting areas where people own and operate their own OPE. Thus far they are avoiding the wealthy suburbs that wrap around Philadelphia.

I'm wiring a barn for a buddy out in Douglassville next month and it looks like a stop at the Wawa for some E0 is in order. As you said none in the immediate suburbs yet, and we just had a new Wawa gas station go in with two or three more planned.

^ I have been let down by STABIL original (replaced carbs and fuel lines in OPE), and STABIL blue a little less (1 carb).....non-ethanol gas AND stabilizer for me. Might be as good without the STABIL - but I have some left.

Thanks for that info, luckily haven't had issue here in Colorado over the winter months w/Red Stabil. Run it in the lawnmower on the last tank in Sept/Oct, cover the lawnmower with the wheelbarrow turned upside down in the back yard, fires up every time in May/June for the first mow of the year.

Also use it in my motorcycle but that gets out every four or five weeks during the winter so probably not being tested as much for ability to keep fuel fresh in that application.

Y'all are lucky to E0 around you. North Texas is hard to find. So I make my own E0 with 93 octane and water. Drain the water out and you have E0. Been doing this for a few years now. My yard equipment seems to run better.

Treating with Stabil Marine 360 may have been a bad idea. I use Stabil marine 360 regularly in the mowers, but... Unlike most of my OPE, the Generator and Snowblower stay in the garage. My garage started getting a strong smell of gasoline that was not there in years past. Stabil Marine 360 is supposed to maintain a positive pressure in the tank, which would also mean that it would push out some fuel vapor through the vent in the gas cap.

Today I removed the fuel from both tanks and ran both machines dry. We shall see if that helps. I am rethinking the idea of treating Ethanol free fuel, given that I have a battery operated transfer pump that makes it easy to remove fuel from the tanks. Perhaps i will just make it a point to use up all available E0 fuel every 60 days, one way or another.

When the snow begins to fall, I've been running my mowers empty of fuel for the past 25 years. Never had a problem starting the mowers the following springs. I always start with fresh fuel in the spring - always 92/93 octane. Same with my weed whackers and snow blowers.

I can't say I've ever treated gas before. Never an issue.

Lately, I've been buying E0 for my 2 stroke stuff as well as any other gas OPE engine.

E0 in all my small engines, snowmobiles. . All treated with a marine stabilizer, currently Sierra brand until the gallon jug is gone and the next deal comes down the line. Stabil has let me down in the past, no issues since moving to other brands of marine stabilizers
Do I need it in E0 ? For the cost vs aggravation I'm putting it in. Cheap insurance.

Well, after removing the gas treated with Stabil 360, the garage doesn't smell of gasoline anymore. Naturally I should refill one of these machines with E0 just to see if it was really the Stabil 360 Marine, but I will pass for now.

It's the gas that gets old and goes bad, not the alcohol, so yes, treat the E0 gas. You should still buy only what you will use up in 6 months or less (best practice, even if treated) and you still need to run your machinery dry before storage.
True, gas goes bad with time. The gas in your ethanol fuel goes bad as well. What you are missing is that ethanol in your fuel asorbs water from the air and that is not good, causing gas tank rust and early electric fuel pump death. I always fill up at a 1/4 tank low when using ethanol fuel. I now only use ethanol free gas for my mowers, chainsaws, etc as the fuel usually sits around for long periods of time giving ethenol fuels more time to absorb water.

I buy E0 fuel for OPE and treat it with blue Marine Stabil. I buy premix for 2 cycle.

The plan is to run all OPE out of gas at end of season. But does not always happen.
hi,
i have gone exclusively to using pri-g because as always i can't get to all my small equipment and vehicles at my age and inevitabably something always get left with fuel in it. It could be the amount of work, could be the weather, could be the age and health but When this happens i have had better luck in getting said equipment going when treated with the pri-g, this is only anecdotal i have no proof but i have been using it for about 10 years now.

I can't say I've ever treated gas before. Never an issue.

Lately, I've been buying E0 for my 2 stroke stuff as well as any other gas OPE engine.
its always best to drain fuel for storage but sometimes it's just not possible for what ever reason. and through the years for the year to year starts i have seen better results with the pri-g than any of the other fuel stabilizers i have used. this is just my anecdotal experience and no i don't work for pri-g lol...sincerely.

Well since I began using ethanol free fuel in my things I have not had to fool with additives. I guess if I filled my 5 gallon tank with anything and it sat a long time I would consider using a stabilizer.

ethanol free is best yes in my opinion too,
sometimes i don't plan for fuel to sit unused for >1 or >2 years but when it does i have had better luck with that fuel lasting longer if it's been treated with pri-g than with any of the other treatments, is what I was trying to say! sometimes it takes a post or 2 lol.

Back