Denso FTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to believe that the denso first time fit oil filters wouldn't be safe to run for 10k OCI when used with full synthetic oil?

597E47D3-007C-47FC-80FF-CACBCD7696DB.jpeg

A48E722F-C065-41FD-90EF-48D836554BAF.jpeg

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Would not think twice about it. Denso is OEM
FTF aren't. They also changed their COO recently, be careful before you buy a case of them thinking they are the bee's knees.

Made to same specs by same parent company. On a bare filter element manufacturing defects will be obvious - if any.

No, assuming it goes in a clean engine in good condition. The Toyota (=Denso) cartridge I used ~17.5k miles came out looking good-as-new.

I had one in our 4Runner that was just traded. Outside the box, it looked just as nice as the OEM filter. I was going to run that one for 10,000 miles and wasn't thinking twice about it.

The older ones with the silicone adbv, yes. Not so sure about the newer batches with the nitrile adbv as I have not used one or cut one open yet.

Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
The older ones with the silicone adbv, yes. Not so sure about the newer batches with the nitrile adbv as I have not used one or cut one open yet.

They were canister filter elements for our old 4Runner. Like the ones pictured in the OP.

That's not relevant to Bettez88's question, because there's no adbv in cartridge filters.

Originally Posted by CR94
That's not relevant to Bettez88's question, because there's no adbv in cartridge filters.

Ah, I wasn't aware his was a cartridge setup. I thought it was just the guts of a denso can, as the media looks basically identical inside of a toyota oem filter. Should've known as the FTF cans i've opened have metal endcaps. I'm so used to maintaining 10+ year old Toyotas that I often forget newer ones have cartridges.

Though they are black, the new ones are also Silicone.

Op, use them with confidence. Check my post history and you'll see I recently did a C&P.

Originally Posted by RamFan

Though they are black, the new ones are also Silicone.

Op, use them with confidence. Check my post history and you'll see I recently did a C&P.

Good to know! I really liked the older ones and only have a few of them left.

As noted topic filter is cartridge not spin on/canister type. OT That said, the inside of Denso FTF spin on not the same as Thia Toyota Denso oem. Former use metal endcaps and latter are no endcap type with very similar element to cartridge shown. And as confirmed by member Hootbro here the new Denso FTF with China coo use a black nitrile adbv, as noted older FTF used red silicone.

Current Denso website info for spin on OF, not accurate for both element type and adbv composition. Another member reached same adbv conclusion as Hootbro with comparison of old FTF to new as posted here. So, the "preponderance of best current evidence" says the newer FTF spin on use nitrile adbv.

To topic, can't see or think of any reason why topic cartridge wouldn't be fine for 10k mi. fci.

Whatever the Denso black adbv is on Toyotas it is very good, as good as silicone. Doesn't harden or act like anything but brand new. Nitrile can be made many different ways and by many different people with different outcomes in quality. There is high temp nitrile too. The Mann white adbv may be high temp nitrile. There is high temp that is white.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As noted topic filter is cartridge not spin on/canister type. OT That said, the inside of Denso FTF spin on not the same as Thia Toyota Denso oem. Former use metal endcaps and latter are no endcap type with very similar element to cartridge shown. And as confirmed by member Hootbro here the new Denso FTF with China coo use a black nitrile adbv, as noted older FTF used red silicone.

Current Denso website info for spin on OF, not accurate for both element type and adbv composition. Another member reached same adbv conclusion as Hootbro with comparison of old FTF to new as posted here. So, the "preponderance of best current evidence" says the newer FTF spin on use nitrile adbv.

To topic, can't see or think of any reason why topic cartridge wouldn't be fine for 10k mi. fci.

You keep saying this, almost word for word. Have you actually reached out to Denso?

I have and they've confirmed that the FTF filters are still built with Silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted by RamFan
..You keep saying this, almost word for word. Have you actually reached out to Denso?

I have and they've confirmed that the FTF filters are still built with Silicone ADBV.
Yep, and until and unless I see "authoritative evidence" to the contrary I will continue to post it. Haven't seen that posted to this point, thus everything in the post accurate as posted. That said, no one is forcing you to read it.

Since you 'now' say you reached out to Denso, why don't you post a copy of the email correspondence for all to see. Seems odd to me though you didn't include that nugget in your Denso thread. I mention it because you did post 'that Denso said' the efficiency of the FTF was 90% but they provided no micron level or ISO test format. So basically meaningless.

And for further evidence, Duck Ryder's excellent dissection of virgin current Denso FTF* is linked below. It includes pics of the box and proves that the silicone adbv reference is no longer there, instead the word "reliable" only. And the Denso site FTF element type construction discrepancy also previously noted, is confirmed there too. So until proven otherwise, I happen to agree with members Hootbro and 92saturnsls finding on the nitrile adbv composition.

Denso FTF Dissection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back